Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

power antenna

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Default RE: power antenna

KMC143

I have the exact same issue with mine. If I power on the stereo, the antenna raises, then the gears sound almost like they are grinding at the top. When I turn off the stereo, the antenna comes back down. Not sure if you did replace your antenna yet or not, but I've been thinking about doing it. Ifit worked for you, let me know. If you haven't done it, I'll let you know if it worked for me.Anyone have any good idea where I could find another antenna?

Old 02-26-2007, 08:39 PM
Default RE: power antenna

Where to buy 2001 Montero Limited power antenna mast?
I read the post, I know how to replace it, I opened the power antenna, seems the teeth of mast cable is worn out. I checked with dealer (in California, US), they want $65 for the replacement mast. I tried go online, but cannot find the any good deal. Couple of Ebay sell it for around $50. Anyone know where can I find the $12 deal?

Thanks!

Old 03-16-2009, 12:00 PM

I have a similar issue. My antenna will not raise when I turn on the car. When I turn the car off I can hear the motor trying to retract the antenna. The motor continues running until I turn the radio back on. Right now I have to disconnect the batt cable so that the antenna motor will not drain my battery. Is there a fuse I can pull??? has anyone had this issue?

Thanks for any help

Old 03-16-2009, 05:27 PM

I just replaced mine earlier this year. I paid ~45 dollars on ebay. It was a perfect fit. The job will require you to open up the splash guard under the wheel well and extract the broken antenna pieces inside the motor assembly. Not a hard job but definitely not a 30 min job either. Also, make sure you have some lithium grease on hand to lube the cable during installation and dont lose the metal pieces that thread into thebody at the base of the antenna.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by wannakracka
I have a similar issue. My antenna will not raise when I turn on the car. When I turn the car off I can hear the motor trying to retract the antenna. The motor continues running until I turn the radio back on. Right now I have to disconnect the batt cable so that the antenna motor will not drain my battery. Is there a fuse I can pull??? has anyone had this issue?

Thanks for any help
The motor should stop to prevent itself from burning out. It may take awhile but it should stop... Are you saying it will run longer than a minute?

Old 03-17-2009, 10:33 AM

Yes, it will run for longer than a minute. I have come out to my car several hours later and it was grinding away...

Thanks for our response.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the info. I was trying to find info on this. I just bought a 2002 montero sport about a month ago. I believe that all I have is a broken mast, and that I got all of the old rubber "chain" out. I am having a hard time finding an afternarket replacement mast however. The dealer wants $70. I would think I could find it cheaper. Any national parts stores carry these?

Old 07-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Default Power Antenna issue

Can you go from a power antenna to a solid rubber antenna in a 2002 Montero sport?

Old 07-11-2013, 09:17 PM

I have replaced the power antenna mast in my 2002 Montero and it was very easy.
If you can hear the motor working when you turn the radio on, then it's most likely the antenna that needs replacing.

I purchased an OEM replacement from:

Mitsubishi Parts | OEM Mitsubishi Parts | Genuine Mitsubishi Parts

Remove the wheel well liner (careful not to brake the plastic clips).
Remove the bezel which clamps the antenna to the quarter panel.
(This part is easy if you have someone to turn the radio power on and off for you while you install the new antenna.)
Take hold of the antenna as the power is turned on and assist in the raising of the mast. Gently guide it all the way out of the motor. Pay attention to the the direction of the teeth on the mast. (I think the teeth face towards the front bumper on my Gen. III.) Next, offer up the new mast into the hole until you feel in bump into the motor, and turn the power to the radio off. The new mast should catch the teeth and retract the mast. Reinstall the bezel and test.
Good Luck

Old 07-11-2013, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Kayaksag
Can you go from a power antenna to a solid rubber antenna in a 2002 Montero sport?
Sure.
Pull the wheel well liner.
Remove the mast.
Remove the motor.
Disconnect the power antenna supply to the radio.
Connect the new antenna mast to the radio wire.
Install bezel and wheel well liner.

Quick Reply: power antenna