Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Power seat does not move back 98 Mits Montero !!! Please help !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:41 AM

Did you tighten the battery it seems that it has no power coming from the battery
did you check the Battery terminal if it's dirty or crack?

The motor for the seat is broken? the nut hasn't nothing to do with the seat it just to hold the seat. you might need a new motor for the seat and that would be very expensive.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:16 PM

Hi Beat:

We've been all through this. I doubt that the motor is broken - it works fine in one direction and there are no failure modes that I know of where a DC motor works only in one direction. Not impossible but highly unlikely.

Most likely it's a bad switch but he needs to get the seat bottom off to troubleshoot and bypass the switch - thus the need to get the bolts off.

Ron

Old 02-03-2014, 12:16 PM
Default 99 montero seat stuck...about to tackle it

There's no ultimate answer to this....I too have my power seat stuck in the full forward position. I'm 6'7"!!!! I had to get my 7 year old son to back it down our steep, snow covered driveway which was totally nerve racking! Same thing, it clicks, but won't reverse at all. I can't take the seat completely out because it covers the pass side front bolt completely. What was the end result? Bad driveline/motor or electrical?

I had a tilt malfunction also, turned out to be faulty connection in the wiring harness going to the toggle switch unit. I just cleaned and re-seated it an voila!

IS THERE A BYPASS to the power seats at all? Anyone put a non power seat in? Do all gen2 seats share the same bolt pattern? I'm in a 99 montero and love the heated seat, but hate hate hate the power seat functions specifically for this reason! I can't believe there's never been a lawsuit over issues like this. It seems very unsafe for all cars with power seats...ie, if I was driving and something hit the toggle switch and pushed the seat forward and then couldn't reverse it could easily cause an accident. There should be an 'emergency bypass' switch of some sort.

Please help. Car is stuck on icy street and I'm basically stranded!

Thanks

Old 02-03-2014, 04:04 PM
Default ok easy fix

just like mentioned in this forum, a 12v power supply works to move the seat...I used the snipped wires off of a random cigarette lighter plug, plugged it into the cig lighter on the dash, and reversed polarity to go forward or backward. Thanks to the fella from Ohio for the info!

Old 01-08-2015, 02:29 PM
Default Fix for seat backwards not working.

Originally Posted by corycarbo
There's no ultimate answer to this....I too have my power seat stuck in the full forward position. I'm 6'7"!!!! I had to get my 7 year old son to back it down our steep, snow covered driveway which was totally nerve racking! Same thing, it clicks, but won't reverse at all. I can't take the seat completely out because it covers the pass side front bolt completely. What was the end result? Bad driveline/motor or electrical?
Thanks

Hi guys. I'm not in the habit of resurrecting old threads, but I have solved this issue in my 96 Montero SR and would like share my finding with you, in case anyone runs into a similar issue.

I like to run my seat at its most rearward position. The problem was that the seat would not move backwards, it would only move forwards. All other functions worked perfectly, and when I pushed the seat switch rearward I could hear a clicking.

I took everything apart and here is what I've found. First, if you hear a click, your switch is fine (for this function at least). It means that the signal is being sent to the control box and the appropriate relay is clicking. I thought that perhaps the control unit was damaged, so I removed and opened up the 'Imasen Power Seat Control Unit' to see if there was an issue inside. The innards of this control unit consist of 5xJS1-12v relays, and 6xTQ2-9V relays, 9 diodes, and a scattering of resistors. There was no damage to the board. All components checked out fine. For all the relays, the coil resistance was spot on with the published values (these are mechanical, not solid state). Its very easy box to open and its a very easy circuit to diagnose for damage.

Next I completely took the switch apart and cleaned it out. There was nothing that would have indicated a problem. I did manage to get the following wiring information:

Wires in the Switch to Power Seat Control Unit Harness (the big blue rectangular one):
Seat-forward is Red
Seat-Backwards is Blue/White
Both have a common of Blue

Seat Back Tilt Forward is Blue/Yellow
Seat Back Tilt Backwards is Blue/Green.

Its a regular SPDT switch for all functions. So to test the backwards function you would measure the resistance between Blue/White and Blue wires while pressing the button.

I installed everything, and still had the same exact issue. It goes forward, but not backwards. And it keeps clicking.

It turns out that my issue was caused by the limiting microswitches that plug into the small "SL/LS" port (white, back of unit - closest the center console) of the control unit.

Apparently, our seat uses microswitches to either supply or deny voltage to the motor. One switch hits a limit at the front of the track and turns off power, the other hits a limit at the rear of the track and turns off power. They are normally screwed into the seat frame with two phillips head screws. You can easily see this unit with the cushion off. This is the bottom view:

Name:  photo62_zps0c69f467.jpg
Views: 2420
Size:  68.4 KB

The microswitch that governs the seat going backwards was stuck OFF, so the motor received no voltage thinking it was at its rearmost limit, even though everything else in the circuit worked. Once I unplugged these small switches from the control unit, the seat worked just fine - but without the normal limits of front/rear travel.

This POS tiny little switch almost got me stuck at a home depot! My guess is that taller drivers keep the seat at its most rearward, causing the switch to be pressed (in its off state) for years at a time. They then are unable to open again, but sometimes can make enough of a connection to work.

Last edited by MNalfa; 01-08-2015 at 02:39 PM.