Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Rear tires tilted Montero Limited 2002

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 01:36 AM
Default Rear tires tilted Montero Limited 2002

I have a 2002 limited
When i was driving behind my own car on another vehicle i noticed that rear tires look tilted out from the bottom both look even but tilted while driving.
I know some SUV like BMW have that desing based on their suspension system and roll over prevention thing.

is this normal?

Old 11-29-2005, 09:54 AM
Default RE: Rear tires tilted Montero Limited 2002

ORIGINAL: firerice
I have a 2002 limited
When i was driving behind my own car on another vehicle i noticed that rear tires look tilted out from the bottom both look even but tilted while driving.
I know some SUV like BMW have that desing based on their suspension system and roll over prevention thing.
When you say tilted while driving do you mean they're not vertical so they are angled as such... / \??

If so, then it's not normal and I suspect the spring's are either collapsed (partially or fully) and the weight is too much for them.

Also AFAIK, this design does NOTHING to prevent roll over.

Old 11-29-2005, 06:58 PM

The mfg spec for the rear camber is zero degrees. I was concerned about this too. My wheels also look like they are tilted in too. However, most of the Montero's I see on the road also seem to have the wheels tilted in like / \. On the other hand, some times my wheels look perfectly verticle when the car is parked. The camber is adjustable, I just find it hard to believe that it is very far out of adjustment. I am afraid that a shop would just screw it up more. Hmmmm..

Old 12-01-2005, 12:41 AM

Are your montero's empty when it's like this or full of stuff? How does it look empty with a 1/4 tank or less? It could simply be due to worn rear springs.

It's not uncommon on IRS vehicles. My old Supra used to have the same problem. Luckily my Monty doesn't but then again, it's a solid rear axle.

Old 12-01-2005, 05:00 PM

My 2002 limited is the same way. I am wondering if they changed the spec for, like you say, the rollover prevention. The first year of the new body style got horrible reviews because of its rollover potential. I am sure that my camber angles are responsible for my decent cornering abilities. (as far as SUV's go that is)

Old 12-01-2005, 07:13 PM

I have a bootleg FSM for the 2003 Montero and it says zero degrees +- 30 minutes for the rear camber. The '03 and up have active stability control to reduce the rollover risk.

My truck is rarely very loaded, so I am talking about the normal unloaded condition.

One thing I notices when I rotated my tires finally at 20k miles is that the front tires wore on the outside and the rear tires wore on the inside. This is what one would expect if the rear camber was incorrectly adjusted. Hmmm...