Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

removing crank

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 09:11 PM
Default removing crank

Which way do you remove the crank from the Montero sport's 3.0 w/4x4 ?
At this point Im not talking details, just something general like "remove all obstacles under engine and remove it or remove engine to remove it. I looked around for the explanation and even checked "so you dont have a manual" but there was nothing addressing my question. It assumes you already know how to remove it.I thought i had read about this somewhere on this site recently,but I couldnt relocate the post. And no...Im not planning on doing it myself.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:59 PM

I'd work from the top. Similar procedure to doing the timing belt. You will need to remove fan, serpentine belt, at the very least move alternator, and A/C compressor out of the way and remove the front mounted bracket that holds tensioner and pulleys. After that you will have enough space to get to the crank pulley. I assume that is what you are going after.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:20 AM

What Hunter said and more. To get the crank out, you will need to remove the oil pan, oil pump strainer, remove the bolts from the torque converter (automatic) or clutch. You will also need to unbolt all of the rods. There are many more obstacles as well.

You will have to remove the motor. The rear main seal is a full seal which bolts to the back of the motor. These bolts are only accessible with the motor removed. The crank can't be removed unless the seal housing is unbolted.

If you roached a bearing you are apt to have metal fragments everywhere in the motor which would then need a thorough cleaning.

I am knee deep in this for a 3.5L. My motor spun two rod bearings. I suspect the process for your 3.0L would be near identical.
https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...removal-48920/

Last edited by larry4406; 03-17-2016 at 04:43 AM.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:35 PM

I guess it is not completely clear to me if PalmSprings is going after the crankshaft or the crankshaft pulley. What I described is only for getting to crankshaft pulley and crankshaft position sensor. Not for removing the crankshaft itself.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by HunterD
I guess it is not completely clear to me if PalmSprings is going after the crankshaft or the crankshaft pulley. What I described is only for getting to crankshaft pulley and crankshaft position sensor. Not for removing the crankshaft itself.
I agree - he's got some other posts out there regarding used engines, engine knocks, etc.

No sense in having one coherent thread I guess.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:34 PM

I'd work from the top. Similar procedure to doing the timing belt. You will need to remove fan, serpentine belt, at the very least move alternator, and A/C compressor out of the way and remove the front mounted bracket that holds tensioner and pulleys. After that you will have enough space to get to the crank pulley. I assume that is what you are going after.
basically my question was "can the crank be taken out from the bottom without engine removal or not."

Last edited by PalmSprings; 03-19-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by larry4406
What Hunter said and more. To get the crank out, you will need to remove the oil pan, oil pump strainer, remove the bolts from the torque converter (automatic) or clutch. You will also need to unbolt all of the rods. There are many more obstacles as well.

You will have to remove the motor. The rear main seal is a full seal which bolts to the back of the motor. These bolts are only accessible with the motor removed. The crank can't be removed unless the seal housing is unbolted.

If you roached a bearing you are apt to have metal fragments everywhere in the motor which would then need a thorough cleaning.

I am knee deep in this for a 3.5L. My motor spun two rod bearings. I suspect the process for your 3.0L would be near identical.
https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...removal-48920/
Txx Hunter & Larry, you both answered my question. Like I said,Im not doing the work.

Last edited by PalmSprings; 03-19-2016 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:45 PM

I wanted to know if the crank was coming out the bottom or the engine had to come out to remove it. I was considering having a friend of mine do it if the engine didnt need removed,

Old 03-19-2016, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by larry4406
I agree - he's got some other posts out there regarding used engines, engine knocks, etc.

No sense in having one coherent thread I guess.
l
Larry, thats because there wasnt any need for reference from one post to another.

Last edited by PalmSprings; 03-19-2016 at 10:06 PM.