Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Replacing Cat Converter on 96 Montero?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 04:46 PM
Default Replacing Cat Converter on 96 Montero?

I'm in California also. I guess that makes a difference since I've been searching for the part. My question though is if it is difficult to change for a novice oil changer? Dealer wants to charge me $900 + Part. I simply don't have the money right now since I'm broke now since my wedding. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:43 PM
Default RE: Replacing Cat Converter on 96 Montero?

congrats and go to the junkyard or find one on ebay and clamp it to the exaust yourself

Old 10-27-2007, 02:30 PM

From what I recall, I don't think salvage yards in CA can legally sell used Cats so you may have to go out ofstate if you're parts shopping.You might want to try getting a quotefrom a local (non-franchise) mufffler shop that does morecustom projects. They might give you a better price on patching in a generic, CA-certifiedreplacement. Or at least you mightgeta better labor ratefor them toinstall the Mitsu part (I think it's always better to stick with OEM parts when it comes to getting past CA smog tests.)

Good luck.

Ron

Old 10-29-2007, 10:46 AM

I'm in Ca.

It's illegal to buy and use a used cat in CA but you do not have to use a OE Mitsu cat either.

I had to change the cat on my 90 Montero a couple of years ago. I took it to a shop that specializes in basic vehicle repairs. They threw an aftermarket cat on and I passed emmisions with flying colors.

I was told that the shop & emissions place was owned by the same guy.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:57 PM

Ok I've taken it to a few places now. The dealer is where I did the initial diagnostic and they quoted me $960 and they said the part was around $780. The cat that is bad is the right one, bank one. I took it to a few places that didn't look at it but rather looked it up on their computer and said they could change it for about $270. I thought that would be a huge savings. I took again to another place and he actually lifted the car and took a look at it. He said that there is no aftermarket part for the left and right cat converters and that I would have to use the OEM or remanufactured one. The right one was also the worse one to replace because the pipe wraps around the starter which means he would also have to remove it to change it. He got a quote for a remanufactured one and with installation he said it would be $560.

Can any confirm the non-existence of a aftermarket Cat Converter or even know of any places that sells remanufactured parts? Thanks to everyone in advance.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:51 PM

good luck finding them....ive been searchin for aftermarket headers forever now....but now im sellin the car for parts