Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Replacing Door Handle - 3rd Gen (01+) Montero/Pajero with pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 10:52 AM
Lightbulb Replacing Door Handle - 3rd Gen (01+) Montero/Pajero with pics

Recently had to replace a door handle so I snapped some photos. It might help people out if they are ever in a similar unfortunate situation.

*Click photo to see full size*

Replacing Door Handle - 3rd Gen (01+) Montero/Pajero with pics-img_5298.jpg

So once just a small section like this is exposed, all one has to do is push down on the lever by the lock and it will unlock the door.

Replacing Door Handle - 3rd Gen (01+) Montero/Pajero with pics-img_5299.jpg

I got this aftermarket replacement handle on eBay for $20 shipped if not a little less (I forgot). It is in an unpainted plastic black, very good quality I might add. Comes with the chrome strip as you see. Ready to be painted too. Comes with the seals/gasket around the assembly and comes with new clips too.

Replacing Door Handle - 3rd Gen (01+) Montero/Pajero with pics-img_5300.jpg

Here is the back of the new handle. It comes with new clips (orange retainer clip of the rod and the lock clip)

Replacing Door Handle - 3rd Gen (01+) Montero/Pajero with pics-img_5301.jpg

Close up of said included clips. Just like OEM.

Replacing Door Handle - 3rd Gen (01+) Montero/Pajero with pics-img_5302.jpg

You have to remove the door panel, which is straight forward and easy. Just a few screws and clips. Pull door up as there is a hook that the door panel hooks into. Then you will be exposed to this. Peel away the plastic to expose the 3 bolts that hold the handle in place. Believe they were 10mm?

Last edited by redturboeclipse; 07-16-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:55 AM

Click photo for full size

Replacing Door Handle - 3rd Gen (01+) Montero/Pajero with pics-img_5303.jpg

Here you can clearly see 2 of the 3 mounting holes with the bolts already removed. The last to the far end you may need an extension socket, and the frame of the door has a hole to easily insert the socket extension that perfectly shoots to the bolt to remove.

Replacing Door Handle - 3rd Gen (01+) Montero/Pajero with pics-img_5304.jpg

You need to remove the lock rod before you can release the door handle free. There is no need to try and keep the original retainer plastic clip. As you saw above the new one will come with its own. If you want to use the original, its easier to just remove it all like above first so you can get the door handle free and out of the door, so you have more room to remove the clip after like this.

Replacing Door Handle - 3rd Gen (01+) Montero/Pajero with pics-img_5305.jpg

I don't show it, but here is the lock already free from the door handle. A clip holds it secure. You may need some needle nose pliers to remove it.

Replacing Door Handle - 3rd Gen (01+) Montero/Pajero with pics-img_5306.jpg

Here is the said clip that holds the lock in place that I am holding. There is no confusion on the orientation of how the lock goes in and you just put the clip back after.

Replacing Door Handle - 3rd Gen (01+) Montero/Pajero with pics-img_5307.jpg

Here is the new handle just about ready to go in. Only thing I need to do is put the clip for the lock. Actually in this pic the handle wont go in. See the left side of the pic. That end of the handle already has to be inside the hole in the panel or the door handle wont go in. It is a tight space after that, but it is still straight forward.

Last edited by redturboeclipse; 07-16-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:56 AM

Click Photo for full size

Replacing Door Handle - 3rd Gen (01+) Montero/Pajero with pics-img_5308.jpg