Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Rough transmission...

Old 06-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Red face Rough transmission...

Hi everyone. New here b/c my husband just bought me a Montero sport this weekend. It's a 2000 and has well over 250,000 miles on it, kinda rough looking, but since it's just for tooling around town and towing kids it's not a big deal.
My question is though, the transmission is running rough. It shifts hard from reverse to 1st gear after just being started and runs rough until it warms up a little. Even then it will still rev high while driving on the highway in high speeds. Any ideas what might be wrong???
We also know that the lower ball joints on the front need to be replaced, but the guy we bought it from claims it's easy to do, is this true?

Just trying to get ideas of how much we should expect to pay so we don't get hosed by some opportunistic mechanic!
Thanks!

Old 06-08-2011, 04:45 PM

Buying any rig with 250k usually means some work is required to get it up to par. Did it come with service records? Did you get a CarFax before the purchase? It is important to know when/if the timing belt was replaced, as well as water pump, etc. MM service schedule is every 60k for the timing belt. Sometimes just a basic tune-up (plugs, wires, etc.) can do wonders for a "rough running" rig.

I'm assuming it's an AT. If so, start with a tranny fluid exchange, an easy DIY. For that matter, change all the fluids...diffs, transfer case, tranny, coolant, brake and power steering...

Check out an on-line FSM manuel for your Monty, and look at the ball joint replacement service. Based on the description, determine if it's a job you possess the skills to accomplish.
Calling your local dealer and mechanics and asking for a quote will give you a ball park figure on cost...I think it's cheaper out in VA then it is in CA.

Good Luck

Last edited by Mr. Z.; 06-08-2011 at 04:47 PM.