Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Smokin Montero Update

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 03:12 AM
Question Smokin Montero Update

Been awhile since I last posted. Picked up the 91 montero a month ago. Smoked REALLY BAD then cleared up quite a bit as the engine warmed up. Got home and dumped the 8 quarts of diesel oil from the pan ("diesel mechanic" forgot to drain the oil before refilling), changed filter and refilled w/5 qt. 20w-50. Cleaned off the oil blown all over engine compartment, engine and exhaust. Guess what? no more smoke! Getting the dents pulled out, bumper is no longer v shaped and should have a/c operating within the next week. But have a check engine light that goes on and off. Passed emissions that way. Problem is I can't find the diagnostic port. Repair manual says bottom left of dash or in console under radio. It's in neither, hence I need help to locate it. Anyone?

Old 06-29-2010, 12:53 AM

OK, apparently no one else knows either. Found it. Both repair manuals were wrong - again! Bottom of right side dash. Had to climb under to find it. Jumpered it w/a dwell/tach meter since no one had a analog voltmeter. Code 14-throttle position sensor which is what I suspected. Will cost $152 @ AZ so it will have to wait. Charged the a/c but only 1 lb. since I can't find my gauges. Mounted Hella fog lights (real fog lights). Found out how to take out the wiper switch but will have to get by as is since a replacement is $ 165 @ AZ. Drive it every day,rides good, gets good gas mileage (much better than my jeep) Been in the family for about 5 years and has been dependable. No wonder they're hard to find!