Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Sport vs xls

Old 07-23-2015, 02:15 AM
Default Sport vs xls

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I am wondering the differences between the montero sport vs montero xls.

My goal is to be able to have a good daily driver and also a weekend warrior that I can explorer/mud/snow/rock
through.

Is one better suited for off-road vs one as a daily driver stock.

And is there any major differences in the years?

Can bigger tires be put in either of them stock?

I have an explorer now but am looking at montero and needed to know the differences to help me make up my mind on what model to chose.

Ideally I'm looking tiger the newest year I can afford although I do love the 95-96sr but they are older rigs.

Thank you all for any opinions/advice it's much app reacted in helping this newb

Old 07-25-2015, 02:48 AM

Anyone willing to share some info? I am looking at both models i guess.. i just cant find any def answers between the two or are they completely separate or just an add on package?

Old 07-25-2015, 10:35 AM

Do they even still make this? I couldn't find anything past 2006...

Maybe you could start with the year you are looking at, and your location?

With the Outlanders the sport is basically a completely different car the XLS is the top trim of the Outlander so I would assume this is the same on the Montero.. It may add things like leather seats, premium sound systems, etc.

If you actually have a source to buy these from why don't you ask the sellers for a full feature list of both cars and then use that to decide?

Old 07-25-2015, 10:50 AM

I believe they stopped making them in the us in 2006, but could be wrong.
I don't have a source that's one reason why i was asking .

Old 07-25-2015, 11:04 AM

Are you in the US?
Are you looking at the 2006 model or are you looking at a newer one under a different name?

If you don't have a place to actually buy either one from why does the difference between them matter?

Old 07-25-2015, 11:12 AM

I am in the us. I am looking at any gen3s. I don't have one close enough buy where i am to go and test drive it. Sometimes they pop up on cl but they sell fast around here.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:30 AM

Here's what I would do..

Find the cars you are specifically wanting to buy on Autotrader/Craigs list anywhere.. Call them and ask them to tell you the features, engine, drive system, etc.

You may have to make a couple different phone calls to get all the info you want but that should eventually answer your question.

Also while I was doing some digging I noticed there is a "Montero" and a "Montero Sport" as a model if they did the same thing as they did with the Outlander the "Sport" MODEL not trim would be a smaller less luxurious and less expensive but almost completely different car.

If it's just a trim option, who knows...

Old 07-25-2015, 12:40 PM

The problem the OP may be facing is that sellers often list Montero Sport as simply Montero in the sale adds. This is incredibly confusing. If you are talking about Gen 3 Monteros, there are some differences:

Full size Montero is larger than Sport. Full size has seating for 7 passengers (3 rows), Sport - seating for 5. Engines are very similar, I think some of the differences are just PCM controls. Both come with automatic transmissions (older Sport may have manual transmission option). Full size has optional Sportronic transmission (manually shiftable). Both have independent front and rear suspensions. Full size has spare tire mounted on the back door (swings out sideways), Sport - spare tire under the body and the door opens up. I believe full size only comes as 4x4, while some of the Sport models have 4x2 setup, so you have to be careful when shopping to make sure you get what you are looking for.

These are main differences as I can recall them.

To make sure you know what you are looking at, here is a full size Montero: Google Image Result for https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7f/2001-2002_Mitsubishi_Montero_--_10-12-2011.jpg

and here is a Montero Sport: https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...cFSxZDXUGaB15A

If you go to older Gen 2, the body style for a full size Montero is different. I hope it helps.

Old 07-25-2015, 01:22 PM

I don't know why they make 2 different models with the same name it's very confusing... At least in Canada they called the "Outlander Sport" the RVR so you can't mix it up.. There must be some kind of law here or something against naming 2 completely different things the same thing.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by HunterD
The problem the OP may be facing is that sellers often list Montero Sport as simply Montero in the sale adds. This is incredibly confusing. If you are talking about Gen 3 Monteros, there are some differences:

Full size Montero is larger than Sport. Full size has seating for 7 passengers (3 rows), Sport - seating for 5. Engines are very similar, I think some of the differences are just PCM controls. Both come with automatic transmissions (older Sport may have manual transmission option). Full size has optional Sportronic transmission (manually shiftable). Both have independent front and rear suspensions. Full size has spare tire mounted on the back door (swings out sideways), Sport - spare tire under the body and the door opens up. I believe full size only comes as 4x4, while some of the Sport models have 4x2 setup, so you have to be careful when shopping to make sure you get what you are looking for.

These are main differences as I can recall them.

To make sure you know what you are looking at, here is a full size Montero: Google Image Result for https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7f/2001-2002_Mitsubishi_Montero_--_10-12-2011.jpg

and here is a Montero Sport: https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...cFSxZDXUGaB15A

If you go to older Gen 2, the body style for a full size Montero is different. I hope it helps.

Thank you! this is what i have been wondering. So do both sport and the full size both have all the same 4wd options(like 2wd,awd,4hi,4low)?

I wish they had gen 3's around here with manuals i do belive i have seen one before however it was not for sale.

Is one more suited for off road than the other?

again thank you for the info.

JP

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sport vs xls