Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Stalling montero sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 11:10 PM
Default Stalling montero sport

Hello all!! I really hope someone can help me, I have a 98 montero sport that is running weird. I purchased it with a dead battery and bad alternator. When it is cranked up it runs fine for a min and then it starts pulsating and when the throttle is pressed it dies. I have replaced the fuel pump, alternator,battery,fuel pressure regulator,ecu,maf sensor, and the fuel filterand it still does it. When it is running bad I can unplug the maf sensor on the intake and it levels out and runs fine as long as it isafter it warms up. Please someone help, I have spent over $500 guessing. Oh when I purchased it, it also had a bunch of blown fuses including a 15amp and a 100amp fuse under the hood.

Thanks,
James

Old 01-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Default RE: Stalling montero sport

some one hooked the battery up backwards. may have some bad relays, or even burned up some wiring. good luck.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:45 AM

Yeah I was thinking that to, but everything seems to work and I have not found any bad wires yet. My dome lights dont work for some reason but I am sure it has nothing to do with the stalling.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:40 AM

Is there anyone else out there that can help me with my problem?

Old 01-08-2009, 06:53 AM

maybe its time to get yourself a mech or wireman.
like sw28,i think its electrical.something to do with the maf sensor wiringmaybe?

Old 01-08-2009, 08:44 PM

It could be the wiring but for what I can see everywhere that I checked everything seems fine. I had it checked on a computer at advance auto and it came up with a strange code that they never heard of. I think it was obd 2 bank 1 something like that. I looked up the code on the e-net and I read were it had something to do with the maf sensor so I replaced it and still nothing.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:05 PM

It almost sounds to me like a fuel problem.
1. Check for vaccuum leaks with carb spray. Spray it on all the vaccuum hoses, intake rubber,intake manifold, etc... If the engine stutters, there's your leak.
2. I had a very similar problem with a Volkswagen. It ended up being the fuel injectors. I'd check those.

Not sure if it helps, but it's something to explore! Good luck.
Jared

Old 01-11-2009, 03:23 PM

Most likely the IAC memory was erased when the battery died. Common problem. You need to clean the throttle plate and throttle body bore. Procedure is here: http://msport97.proboards6.com/index...ay&thread=6258

Old 01-11-2009, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Check your fuel pressure and post up what it is. An iac would cause a car/truck to stall but if you give it gas it shouldn't die. I am betting you have a fuel related issie.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:00 PM

Sorry I have not been back, I did not think anyone was replying and I use 2 different emails. Anyway thanks for everyones suggestions but I have already cleaned the entire throttle body and inside of it and wiped it down. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter. I have also changed the ECU recently and all the relays under the hood. It still runs like crap, it cranks up and runs fine until it warms up then it starts dieing out and when you give it gas it stalls unless you pump it a bunch of times. But if you unplug the mass sensor it runs fine or if you take the engine relay out while its running it idles good again. I am very confused and I got 5 codes off the computer and the first one was the IAC then the mass sensor twice and the camshaft position sensor last. So I am going to try changing the IAC if I knew were it was at on the throttle. Please help anyone THANKS!!

Quick Reply: Stalling montero sport