Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Started sputtering on freeway and no power, stalled and CEL, managed to limp to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 09:48 AM
Default Started sputtering on freeway and no power, stalled and CEL, managed to limp to work.

Any help would be appreciated on this... 2002 MS 3.0L AWD, was almost to work when I lost power and pulled over and died. Eventually got it to restart and managed to get to work by keeping my foot into it but it's running like crap, terrible idle and no power. Checked the codes (good 'ol Torque) and got a P0300 - Powertrain Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected, and P1400 Manifold Differential Pressure Sensor circuit. I tried to look up the P1400 and the answers vary so much, some say it shouldn't effect running at all, others say it causes problems, etc. I have also been getting a P0456 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (very small leak).

Anyway, have no idea where the Maniford Differential Pressure sensor is, and with the running problems I don't know if it's that or something else. Does anyone have some insight they can share, or some diagnostic tips or something? If it is something as simple as a sensor, perhaps a way to bypass until I can replace it?

Thanks in advance...

Old 11-17-2013, 02:47 PM

wihtout the electrical bull****tery, i'd put it at a blown head.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Akzle
wihtout the electrical bull****tery, i'd put it at a blown head.
Well unfortunately it does have all the electrical B.S., so I am not sure I'd jump straight to a blown head.

Also, I had to get home after work so took the back roads and it ran and idled and was driveable, but still was noticeably missing. Also had torque running and other perimeters such as temperature were all normal. I also pulled the codes again and it isn't showing the P1400 at the moment, but is still showing P030 for missing, and a small evap leak code. It's my understanding if I had a head/head gasket problem most likely I'd have smoke/steam from the exhaust, overheating, etc. none of which I have...

Last edited by Warborg71; 11-17-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:04 PM

I should also add... On the way home this morning, it was missing at idle and just off-idle but when I got up to speed it didn't have it's normal power but was reasonably smooth until it got up to operating temp, at which time the miss became much more prominent.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:12 PM

timing belt

Old 11-17-2013, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by mxmikie
timing belt
I'm not arguing, just wondering, if it were the timing belt would it actually act like it did this morning where the miss became really bad after it had warmed up? I would think if it were the belt it would act pretty much the same at all times, wouldn't it? It threw that P1400 code which is the manifold differential pressure sensor circuit, but so far no one seems to think that has any involvement?

If it were the timing belt, is there any way to verify this without tearing apart the front of the engine?