Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Timing Belt change Dealer vs Independent shop

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Default Timing Belt change Dealer vs Independent shop

I am due for the 60K service on my 2001 Montero Ltd, which will include a timing belt change. The Dealer has quoted me a price of $400 more than a Jiffy Lube type chain location (called Mock Tire). Is there any reason why the work has to be performed by a Dealer or is it straight forward enough for a competent non dealer location. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, since it's a high dollar decision.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:12 PM
Banned
Default RE: Timing Belt change Dealer vs Independent shop

I would have the dealer do it.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:47 PM

I would find a good, independently runAAA sponsored shop that does imports. I would definitely stay away from a chain location.

http://www.aaamidatlantic.com/automo...ar/default.asp

Old 01-24-2008, 10:49 AM

Go dealer. At least the dealer has proper tools, torques and has training on these cars. Chances are the jiffy lube guy will be working on a montero for the first time (after all, they are not that popular). Ill never forget the time I went to jiffy lube type location and inquired about the cost of doing a transfer case lube change. I inquired what type of gear lube they use (GL-4, vs Gl-5) and the manager had no idea what I was talking about. He said that all transfer cases and differentials get the same gear lube. LUBE CHANGES ARE THEIR BUSINESS! GL-5 hypoid gear lube in a xfer case is a big no-no! Thats when I promptly left. Dont be penny wise and pound foolish. Read trhu this forum, most complaints are from people who go non-dealer for montero service and end up with bigger problems. Dont think Im pushing for dealer in all cases - if you had a common car like a F-150, accord, civic, Id say go for it. I just dont want a mechanic learning on my $$ vehicle.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:41 PM

This has no-doubt been covered in previous posts, but it may be of interest here to bring up the inconsistency regarding how often belts need to be replaced. The factory service matrix definitelyshows an"X" for it at 60K miles, but if you read the fine print it says that in CA, MA and CT, this service is "recommended but not mandatory" For those states, the interval is apparently 100K miles. (At least this is true for the 3.5L engine in my 99 Montero)

This strange situation is no-doubt due to consumer legislation and/or law suits in those states, but you'd assume that if Mitsubishi didn't expect belts to make it to 100K, there would be much stronger language.

That said, if you're prepared to spend the $ now, it can't hurt - it's just perhaps not quite as urgent as some service peoplemake it seem. As far as dealer vs. independent, I'd agree with the previous advice - a reputable dealer with lot's of experience with these trucks would be the best bet - unless your indy guy has some strong Mitsu reference customers who had the same jobdone.

Good luck,

Ron

Old 01-24-2008, 01:45 PM

first off you might consider taking off the inspection cover to see if it actually needs it but when it comes to these montys i wouldn't trust anyone but myself and the dealer. To many thing can be easily done wrong and apppear all right. Especially if that independent shop doesn't have the manual on your car and they're just making educated assumptions about things. Its worth the extra assurance to go to the dealer, even though you will get ripped off.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:07 AM

I had a AAA sponsored independent that did fine on my Mitsubishis, Mercedes, Toyota, and a Honda including a timing belt on my old Eclipse with no problems.

To each their own, maybe you guys just haven't found a good indy yet, and I guess that depends a lot on where you live.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:44 AM

i did mine on my 3.5

Old 01-31-2008, 12:36 PM

ORIGINAL: jrmdir

The factory service matrix definitelyshows an"X" for it at 60K miles, but if you read the fine print it says that in CA, MA and CT, this service is "recommended but not mandatory" For those states, the interval is apparently 100K miles. (At least this is true for the 3.5L engine in my 99 Montero)
The Owners Manual for the 2005 Monte (3.8L) shows "the first required timing belt replacement in CA, MA, VT, and ME is at 105,000 miles and every 60,000 miles thereafter."

Old 02-26-2008, 12:40 PM

Just trying to keep threads to a minimum...I am getting estimates.
I was quoted a price (at an independent shop from the AAA website) of $1050.00 to replace my T.B. and "everything else behind the cover". Any thoughts?

I called asking for a price including the TB, WP, Idler/tensioner bearings, and the shop even recomended the cam/crank seals.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt change Dealer vs Independent shop