Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Timing Belt change Dealer vs Independent shop

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 08:26 PM

Seriously, I took pictures of changing my camshaft seal and belt on my '98 Monty sport. Look at the thread above this, at the last page.you can get extravagant with the tools, or shade tree mechanic with it, as you like. If you can change a fan belt, you can do this.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:35 PM

When I had mine done at 80K, I had them do the WP and tensioner/pulley. It was done at my local Pep Boys location. They have 2 techs who are top notch. Whole shebang ran me $605. They also used genuine Mitsu parts. BTW, tech said the belt was in perfect shape, really didn't need to be done. Better safe than sorry I always say.

Old 10-22-2022, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Manybrews
take it too the dealer.

dont bother, though, until 100k.

and you wont need a new water pump or any other pulley.
did my timing gear ,pump,belts at dealer when it reached 100-110 approx ,then again near 200k.Nowi dont drive as much,so i may never need to do it again with about 50k miles remaining. (approx 250 k on i)t. The remarkable thing is, the one I bought new in 2001 has passed Ca smog every 2 years since new in 2001. Never failed one. The other 2001 I bought at 100k failed ,but past the rest.Its now 150kor so yes replace those things eac time. Seals....nah take my chances

Last edited by PalmSprings; 10-24-2022 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-23-2022, 08:42 AM

Just a couple of points on my 3.0 belt change: 165,000 miles on the first belt change. It was recommended here to not use aftermarket cam/crank seals ($20 each from the dealer). I might be getting a little old for this diy stuff, but it took me 40 hours to do a proper job.

Old 10-23-2022, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by montero1
I would find a good, independently runAAA sponsored shop that does imports. I would definitely stay away from a chain location.

http://www.aaamidatlantic.com/automo...ar/default.asp
My father who is 95 usualy did the work himself. As he got older he tried lube places for minor plug changes 2x and the last time they cross threaded a spark plug, He was done after that.
. I learned the same way . Now I look for the most organized and clean shops. That usually leads me to good mechanics. I know "neat an clean work areas is a "relative " intrepretation,but mine in paticular has worked pretty well.for me.
I have had mistakes done even at dealers,but not as many . When i finfd a good mechanic/shop I stick with them. However if it involves somethig I thinks is a little more involved and cant be done in a day,i take it to a service center dealer. Nothing is perfect,but it has worked best for me personally. Im sure oter people have similar or not experiences.
The 2nd oil change I ever had was on an 81 isuzu diesel pickup.I took it to walmart service center, A very simple task to do. When I got home and went to open the gate of my driveway there was an oil leak. Not drops but all around my filter. That was the 2nd time I ever went to one and the last time. The odds of mistakes and the cost consequences is not worth going to the drive in mechanics either. I have had many tires put on there and not 1 screw up. That suprises me actually.

Last edited by PalmSprings; 10-23-2022 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-23-2022, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by ismack
I am due for the 60K service on my 2001 Montero Ltd, which will include a timing belt change. The Dealer has quoted me a price of $400 more than a Jiffy Lube type chain location (called Mock Tire). Is there any reason why the work has to be performed by a Dealer or is it straight forward enough for a competent non dealer location. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, since it's a high dollar decision.
First,I never take anything anywhere to have multiple things done. They never get them done on time and too much risk.
Only take them in for one project at a time...just my experience in most anything ,not just cars
Illjust say that you have an increased risk of screw up repairs or service if you go to anyone but a dealer. I usually find and keep any good mechanic when i find one,but if the job is timing belt,engine or similar complexity I go to dealer.The dealer is a lower risk for making mistakes,in my experience, and will have the correct and better part,which is going to cost more,but thats the world we live in. When the jiffy or an ADDH or sloppy mechanic makes a mistake it could easily cost much more,not to mention the hassles it can cause you.
Its all a gamble but the odds/risks are known to me at least and I usually make decisions as Ive explained,from experience.
Im an old man so Ive made lots of mistakes,but Ive learned from most of them

Last edited by PalmSprings; 10-23-2022 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-23-2022, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by mothman52
I did screw up a timing belt on my old 86 Stanza wagon. I got the belt part right but couldn't get the new idler to the proper tightness. The result was an early retirement for the Stanza....(sniff)

My vote is to find a good local mechanic that'll do it for a reasonable fee, unless you have the time, know-how & experience. Or can afford to send your car off to the pasture if the belt slips and your timing goes South....
I like that explanation. That sums it up for me too. I sure miss SC.. I moved tp PSprings, & not even comparable weather. Of course I knew that ahead of time. Winters here are good,summers,not so much. SC was as close to perfect weather as Ive ever been to or seen. Traveled vacationed most of the states. nice a couple months a year,or less. I left after the Loma prieta EQuake...wouldnt you know it now live near the San Andreas main fault.

Last edited by PalmSprings; 10-23-2022 at 03:39 PM.