Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

tranny/coolant

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Default tranny/coolant

i've got a 93 montero... sr... and i think it's leaking coolant...

anyone else ever have this problem? i can't get a picture but i sorta made a quick drawing...

Old 10-15-2007, 05:10 PM
Banned
Default RE: tranny/coolant

Try a picture lol

Old 10-15-2007, 06:17 PM

Sorry I'm not clear on what you've drawn? In the left image, whats that large round circle for? Sounds like you have an engine coolant leak. Where is it coming from the front or rear of the engine? Near the top or bottom of the engine? Radiator?

Old 10-15-2007, 06:41 PM
Banned

Green = Coolant

Red = Transmission

Old 10-15-2007, 06:53 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Killer

i've got a 93 montero... sr... and i think it's leaking coolant...

anyone else ever have this problem? i can't get a picture but i sorta made a quick drawing...

you need to use a different image code(click "image")

Old 10-16-2007, 10:58 PM

looks like the drain plug in the rad is leaking

Old 10-18-2007, 04:56 PM

i'm gonna get a picture when i can!!! it's kinda rainy here today and i just found my memory cards... so it'll be up tomorrow hopefully...

the circular drawing would be if you were looking at the tranny head on... like taking the rest of the car away......

the other is if you are flat on you're back....

but i'll get an actual picture when i can!!!

anyways, i know it's not tranny fluid.. it's coolant.. FOR SURE... it is on the right side of my tranny though near the front of the vehicle... i just can not seem to find a leak... and it looks like it's coming from the tranny.. though the tranny has it's own lines that run fluid to a "mini" radiator to cool the tranny fluid.....

Old 10-18-2007, 05:09 PM

the fluid is coming from the front of the tranny.... say you are under the vehicle on your back... feet at the rear of vehicle.. head at the front..

here is another "paintchop" now i can't draw it, but on the right side of the transmission where it bolts to whatever, there is some sort of "opening" no not a hole or gap. it's apparently made this way... the metal is a good inch or two apart.. and this is where it appears to be coming from...

Old 10-18-2007, 05:12 PM

anyways, i know it's not tranny fluid.. it's coolant.. FOR SURE... it is on the right side of my tranny though near the front of the vehicle... i just can not seem to find a leak... and it looks like it's coming from the tranny.. though the tranny has it's own lines that run fluid to a "mini" radiator to cool the tranny fluid.....
OK. I suspect it's either...
A) a leaking rubber hose that goes between the block and the firewall (to your heater core in your dash). You repair this by simply replacing the hoses. Takes probably 20 minutes tops. Make sure you run your engine to get all the excess air out of your cooling system after you replace them.

or

B) your O-ring to your water pump has gone bad and it's now leaking water into the valley between the cylinders and is pouring out the back of the engine which makes it look like it's coming from the transmission. This problem requires you to R&R your water pump to replace the O-ring.

There arent' too many other things that go bad w/ the cooling system except maybe your radiator needing a rodding but that's only an issue if you don't use distilled water (PURE water) w/ your coolant.

HTH.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Banned

What color is it?

Quick Reply: tranny/coolant