Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Transfer Case Problem?

Old 03-11-2014, 10:44 AM
Default Transfer Case Problem?

I have a 2003 Montero Sport Ltd, 4x4, with 160,000 miles. It's making a rattling noise from what sounds like the front wheel that only happens when the truck is in gear. It doesn't happen when the truck is rolling in neutral and it doesn't matter whether you are going straight or turning, which seems to rule out the cv joints. I am traveling and will need to fix this in a hotel parking lot. I am thinking that it might be the drive chain in the transfer case, but I am not sure. What do you think?

Old 03-11-2014, 07:50 PM

if you're travelling i would suggest getting it looked at professionally then if you can do the repair in the parking lot then do it lol. its gonna be tough working on the transfer case while its not on a hoist personally.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:53 PM

what is a difference between mitsubishi montero limited 2002 dohc and then same sohc?

Old 03-12-2014, 03:06 PM

i have mitsubishi montero limited 2002, it has detonation and writes service engie soon, when i checked it wrote poor mixture in bank 1 and in bank 2, do you know what does it mean?

Old 03-24-2014, 02:37 AM

there is this hose not plugged into the air box tube.

its in the left part in the back right next to the engine

someone took out the box and didn't plug in a tube.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:55 AM
Default Front end noise

Hey navidbe, you are saying the you are getting the noise from the front end while driving. Here is the question: does this happen when the truck is driven in 2 wheel drive only? Does the noise go away if you put it in 4 wheel drive (4H)? If this is the case, you might be having a problem with the 4 wheel drive engage solenoid. It sounds like what you described - the noise would happen when driving straight or turning, just low grumbling/grinding noise from front end. If solenoid failed it would allow the engage sleeve in the front differential, slip and touch the spinning end of the axle. I had this happen on my truck at about 160k. It is an easy fix (replace solenoid). Until that time you can drive in 4H to avoid grinding down the axle.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:17 PM

haha no my montero runs like a champ. i was answering achiiiiiiii questions about the air mixture.

but one problem i am seeing is, when i do engage it into 4wd the lights keep blinking on my dash and never engage? any solutions?

Old 03-24-2014, 02:51 PM

My bad, didn't scroll high enough... Flashing Orange Light - most likely cause is one of your sensors gone bad, or you have a leak in the vacuum lines. You can still engage 4wd like this: start the truck, shift in to 4wd, then when the light flashes, turn off the engine (leave the shifter in 4wd), restart the engine. You might have to repeat it couple of times, but it will engage and will work until you can get it fixed. There are lots of discussion threads on the flashing center differential here. You should be able to find a way to read the error code from the flashing sequence. That will at least let you zero in on what the possible cause of the error. Good luck.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:21 PM

i usually put it in N then when it keeps flashing i just put it back into D then its fine.

the orange light i think blew.

Originally Posted by HunterD
My bad, didn't scroll high enough... Flashing Orange Light - most likely cause is one of your sensors gone bad, or you have a leak in the vacuum lines. You can still engage 4wd like this: start the truck, shift in to 4wd, then when the light flashes, turn off the engine (leave the shifter in 4wd), restart the engine. You might have to repeat it couple of times, but it will engage and will work until you can get it fixed. There are lots of discussion threads on the flashing center differential here. You should be able to find a way to read the error code from the flashing sequence. That will at least let you zero in on what the possible cause of the error. Good luck.