Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Transmission Fluid (again)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Default Transmission Fluid (again)

OK, I've owned my 1999 MS for about a month now and it is dripping transmission fluid - very slowly but steadily when running. I've read many threads about the subject and everyone seems to agree that I should use ONLY the original, genuine Mitsu SPIII fluid. But WHERE can I buy it

I don't have a Mitsubishi dealer within 100 miles. Can I contact the closest dealer and order a few quarts to last until I can get the leak looked at? I'm at a loss as to what to fill it with.

Also, can anyone suggest where a very small leak like this might be coming from? I'm fairly at home working on cars but am still new to this model. Any chance it could be something that I can fix myself?

Thanks for any and all help.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:13 PM

I use Synthetic Amsoil ATF in my 03 Montero with no problems, at all, in any weather.
Double check, your leak might be power steering fluid.

If you can rule that out, then you'll have to just follow your tranny cooler lines. I know that my trans will not circulate fluid in Park. If yours 99 is the same way, put it in N (with the wheels chocked and the parking brake on, of course ) and then get under there and check for leaks.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:16 PM

dont use anything but mitsu fluid, despite the other gents recommendation.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:21 PM

Do you have a Hyundai or Kia dealer anywhere close by? Hyundai ATF SP-III is basically the same thing. Or you can drop by your Chrysler dealer and pick up some Mopar ATF +4. Your only other alternative is to use a universal fluid that confirms to SP-III spec. If you do end up using universal fluid, make absolutely sure that SP-III is mentioned on the packaging.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:55 PM

leak should be easy to find. take off skid plate on the bottom, and just observe.ONLY use mitsu sp3 fluid. call any mitsubishi dealer and they will ship it to you, have to pay for the shipping, but better than risking losing your trans. seen a few cooler lines have debris hit them and cause a little pin hole. will get worse with time.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:12 AM

I have 1999 Montero Sport. Apparently that year was the transition year. I have a an Imported Pasenger Cars, light trucks and Vans repair manual and on the Lubricant Data chart for 1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport it tell you this
"Models equipped w/4A/T transmission use ATF Dextron II. Models w/INVECS-II 4AT use Diamond ATF SP II M. "
How can I thell which transmission has my monty in orther to select the correct oil???

There is much confussion about the correct oil to be used in those transmissions. I am asking because I had to fix an oil leak at the transmission pan also replaced the oil filter but at he time to select the oil, there is too much controversy about the type of oil this tranny use, I had to reused the same oil I took out from this tranny.

Since either Dextron or Diamond oil are conventional ones, using of synthetic oils are supposed to be better oils, can I use them?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by redcentinela; 04-19-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:14 PM

When I called my Mitsubishi dealer, I was told that they don't ship fluids (something about HazMat).

However, I've had good luck ordering it from 'streettundedmotorsports' web site. The OEM fluid runs $6.50 per quart, and shipping was $5.00.

Good Luck

Old 04-21-2010, 08:20 AM

OUCH!!! I think I will use the synthetic one.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:31 PM

I wouldn't recommend anything but the Mitsubishi fluid.

These are some of the finest transmissions in the world. It's much cheaper in the long run to not skimp on something as inexpensive as ATF. Talkin' to folks that have 200K+ on their transmissions all have highly recommended the OEM fluid. (My Monty just turned over 100K without any problems.)

Good Luck

Old 04-22-2010, 01:24 PM

1999 was the first year the 3.5L V6 with the Invecs-II auto transmission was put in the Montero Sport but ONLY the Limited model. If you have a 1999 ES, LS, or XLS, you have the 3.0L V6 and the Aisin-Warner transmission which uses Dexron II. If you have a 1999 Limited, use ONLY Mitsubishi Diamond SP-III.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid (again)