Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Transmission Fluid (again)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 01:44 PM

Yes challenger4x4, I have an LS model. That is what I wanted to know.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:56 PM

One last question. Since almost everybody say that the diamond is the best oil (apparently even better than the synthetic ones), can I use it in my aisin tranny? I plan to follow the manufacturer procedure to change the fluid, disconnect one of the oil lines close to the radiator and let it run for 1 minute. I know that some of the old fluid will stay inside. If the old fluid is dextron II, will the spIII be compatible with dextron II. Will the Aisin transmission like the diamond oil mixed with some dextron? Any comments are welcome.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:04 PM

You should get all the old fluid out.

Disconnect the line between the transmission and the oil cooler and pump as much fluid out as possible in that one minute. Drain the pan and add new fluid (as much as possible, without going over). Repeat the first step until you start pumping fresh, new fluid out. Reconnect the line, and your done.

As far as mixing the two fluids...there's no reason to do it.
Pump out all the old stuff while adding the fresh in one minute sessions.
It really helps to have someone sitting the driver's seat turning the rig on and off while you're under the front end monitoring the fluid discharge.
I'm actually doing mine this weekend with the help of my brother (it goes so much faster with help).

Old 09-08-2010, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Z.
You should get all the old fluid out.

Disconnect the line between the transmission and the oil cooler and pump as much fluid out as possible in that one minute. Drain the pan and add new fluid (as much as possible, without going over). Repeat the first step until you start pumping fresh, new fluid out. Reconnect the line, and your done.

As far as mixing the two fluids...there's no reason to do it.
Pump out all the old stuff while adding the fresh in one minute sessions.
It really helps to have someone sitting the driver's seat turning the rig on and off while you're under the front end monitoring the fluid discharge.
I'm actually doing mine this weekend with the help of my brother (it goes so much faster with help).
How much fluid did you collect when you disconnected the hose in that 1 min? Also how much did you collect from the drain pan after the hose diconnect?
Does anyone know how many total quarts for each step?. Reason I need to know is that there is no dealers near me so I have to order the oil online, I just want to make sure I have enough, but not too much as this stuff is not cheap.
I spoke with the dealer and he said that to do a flush, you need at least 17 quarts of oil. The manual shows 9 qts of fluid, so I'm thinking that you drain as stated above, then refill 9qt, then drain which should be close to 17 qts total.
If I just wanted to change most the fluid then I should only need about 10qts, correct?
I'm thinking of just doing tramission oil changes more frequently like every year. This is for 01 Montero LTD with about 55k

Last edited by qenex; 09-08-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:00 PM

You don't need to drain out nine quarts of new fluid.
I ended up running about an extra one quart through the system and the fluid was running out as clean as it was being poured in.

If my memory serves me correctly, I purchased 12 quarts.
(I have two quarts in my offroad supplies.)

I got the AFT from the following site:

http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...diy_fluids.htm

Check this link for process and fluid quantities:

http://www.pajero4x4.ru/piii/GR00006000-23Aa.pdf

Old 09-09-2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Z.
You don't need to drain out nine quarts of new fluid.
I ended up running about an extra one quart through the system and the fluid was running out as clean as it was being poured in.

If my memory serves me correctly, I purchased 12 quarts.
(I have two quarts in my offroad supplies.)

I got the AFT from the following site:

http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...diy_fluids.htm

Check this link for process and fluid quantities:

http://www.pajero4x4.ru/piii/GR00006000-23Aa.pdf
Thanks for the info!

Drain 4.2qt + 2.1 = 6.3qt, Add 4.2qt, then drian another 4.2qt and add 4.2qt. Total fluid exchange = 10.5qt