Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Changed ATF fluid again...couple of observations

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 10:03 AM
Default Changed ATF fluid again...couple of observations

it was time to change tranny fluid again on the outlander. I tried to follow the manual, but noticed a few odd things during the procedure and also wanted to relay a few helpful hints. I think for the next change, I'll have it completed very easily.

Manual states to pull the top hose off of the cooler. Don't do that...pull the bottom hose. I pulled the top one and started up the vehicle to pump out the fluid...promptly spraying fluid everywhere out of the cooler and not the hose I pulled. Pull the bottom one and direct the discharging fluid into a 5qt motor oil jug that has quart/liter measurements.

Manual states to run the tranny dry of the fluid, to discharge 3.7 quarts. I did that and the amount was correct. Then it states to drain the transmission to get another 2.1 quarts out. However, when I pulled the plug...basically nothing came out. Hmmm. So I put the drain plug back in and decided to refill with fresh fluid, what I took out. I dumped what ATF I got out the first time into another container. I then ran the engine again until I saw fresh pink fluid come out of the cooler line. This measured another 3 quarts. I added that much back in and reconnected the tranny fluid line to the cooler.

Runs great now and dipstick shows correct fluid amount and a nice bright rosy pink. It does bother me a bit that nothing came out when I did the drain plug, but I think it worked out well anyway and was pretty easy too.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:13 AM

Sounds good.

To sum it all up, what was the total amount of new fluid that you added to the transmission?

Old 01-02-2014, 03:20 PM

I added 6.7 quarts total...which is lower than what the manual says I should have replaced.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:29 AM

Hi, Old thread but have a question. You said you got 3.7 quarts out through the hose and nothing by draining the pan. And then added 6.7 quarts?
Is that a typo?

Old 08-16-2015, 10:46 PM

I pulled the hose and let the engine pump 3.7qts out through the cooler return line. Reconnected the hose and refilled with 3.7 qts. Pulled the hose again and ran it until it pumped clean fluid. reconnected hose, measured 2nd pumping and refilled with 3qts. Total fluid changed was 6.7 qts.