Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Trying to revive a '91 Montero

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 12:28 PM
Default Trying to revive a '91 Montero

About 5 years back I bought my gal a '91 Montero, it was a bit worn out but it ran OK. A year later the motor revealed how worn out it was and I planned to have it rebuilt, but before I got around to it the thing developed a problem.

Sometimes after driving the Montero wouldn't start. Crank on it a while then it'd start up. Now here's the odd thing, I seem to remember a really loud clicking noise that sounded like it was coming from under the dash, like it was a relay or something. It finally wouldn't crank one day so I parked it. That was two years ago.

So now I want to try and get it going again. What sounds like the probable culprit for it's ceasing to start? Fuel pump? I've Googled around and found a few other people mentioning the starting issue and it most always seemed to point to the fuel pump. One person noted that he could use the fuel pump check terminal to get voltage to the fuel pump and it would run when connected that way. Where is this terminal located? I've looked around but didn't see anything labeled accordingly. About a year ago I poured a shot of gas down the intake and had it fire up, so I figure fuel pump, but I'd hate to run into that issue of the pump not getting the voltage to work.

I'll goof with it and if i have no luck I'll take it to a shop, but I'd like to at least get it running myself if possible and save a few bucks.

What's the better option, have a shop rebuild the engine in it or get a remanufactured engine? Reman seems to run ~2,300 bucks, would a local shop rebuild run about that much (counting reman install)?