Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Upgrades and Modifications

Old 01-25-2018, 11:45 PM
Default Upgrades and Modifications

Hey guys,

I got a request for some opinions here.

I have a 91 Monty LS. Bought it a few months ago and am starting to get to know it. I'm coming to a point where I'm going to be upgrading or adding certain things soon.
So, cosmetically, I'm wondering if it will ruin the look and feel of the Monty if I add things that are current. LED headlights/taillights, roof rack, LED spotlights, rock lights, touch screen stereo, better speakers. I know it can be done tastefully but can also be over-done.
I guess my fear is that it'll lose the feel of being a 27yo SUV. If everything is modern and works, well it fell the same? Haha. Like right now the stereo cuts out and the speakers suck but I tell myself, it's a 91
I do want these upgrades for better functionality, but where is the line of, leave it the way it is and yeah that's a smart/useful upgrade. I do understand that it's ultimately what I feel is good /nice /useful but I just want opinions on how people feel about old cars, new upgrades.

Any input is appreciated.
​​​

Old 01-26-2018, 12:17 AM

Welcome to the Mitsu family. Congrats on your purchase.

The question you have to ask - are you going for "preserving" the style and look of the early 90th vehicle (to appeal to purists and classic car enthusiasts) or do you want to show that a 30 year old rig can be super fun, functional and in certain ways better that some of the garbage that rolls off the current assembly lines?
You want to make sure that the upgrades make it better for you to drive it. For example, I have an '87 coupe and I like to keep it in "pure" form as far as mechanics and outside look, but it has an upgraded stereo (which is fun for me).

The upgrades you've listed are not crazy wild ideas. The roof racks look great on Monty. The light bars and spot light can add a good element to the look as well. What is inside the cab (stereo, touch screen, etc.) that will only be seen by people who ride with you. It all depends on what you want your vehicle to look and feel like. I've seen some vehicles which were upgraded with similar accessories as you list and they look tasteful and awesome. When that is the case, one can appreciate the attention and thought that was put into those upgrades. On the other hand, I've seen plenty of vehicles where I can't help but wonder - what exactly the owner was thinking. It looks like an aftermarket isle just threw up on their rig

Old 01-26-2018, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by HunterD View Post
Welcome to the Mitsu family. Congrats on your purchase.

The question you have to ask - are you going for "preserving" the style and look of the early 90th vehicle (to appeal to purists and classic car enthusiasts) or do you want to show that a 30 year old rig can be super fun, functional and in certain ways better that some of the garbage that rolls off the current assembly lines?
You want to make sure that the upgrades make it better for you to drive it. For example, I have an '87 coupe and I like to keep it in "pure" form as far as mechanics and outside look, but it has an upgraded stereo (which is fun for me).

The upgrades you've listed are not crazy wild ideas. The roof racks look great on Monty. The light bars and spot light can add a good element to the look as well. What is inside the cab (stereo, touch screen, etc.) that will only be seen by people who ride with you. It all depends on what you want your vehicle to look and feel like. I've seen some vehicles which were upgraded with similar accessories as you list and they look tasteful and awesome. When that is the case, one can appreciate the attention and thought that was put into those upgrades. On the other hand, I've seen plenty of vehicles where I can't help but wonder - what exactly the owner was thinking. It looks like an aftermarket isle just threw up on their rig
Haha yeah I'm definitely going to be tasteful in my mods. I know the rigs you're talking about.
I really appreciate your reply. You hit a lot of points I was wondering about.
I'm going to preserve the feel of it as much as I can but tweak it a bit to be more functional for me. Thanks again!