Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Valve cover gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Default Valve cover gasket replacement

Going to replace the valve cover gasket on the 2001 Montero Limited, along with plugs and wires the weekend. Wondering if anyone had a link to service or repair manual.I have shopped around for the haynes manual but can't seem to find one for the 2001 model. Does anyone know it the manuals for the 1997 Monteroup with the 6g74 engine will work. Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Old 04-03-2007, 09:18 PM
Banned
Default RE: Valve cover gasket replacement

Its very simple. Look all the way around the valve cover and locate the bolts, then simply remove them and lift the valve cover clear. Then change the gasket and begin tightening the bolts again... but be VERY careful. Valve covers are extremely prone to cracking because they are not intended to be tied down tight. I know people that have been very cautious when bolting them back up and they have still cracked them.

Good luck

Old 04-03-2007, 10:11 PM

ORIGINAL: mdoc111

Going to replace the valve cover gasket on the 2001 Montero Limited, along with plugs and wires the weekend. Wondering if anyone had a link to service or repair manual.I have shopped around for the haynes manual but can't seem to find one for the 2001 model. Does anyone know it the manuals for the 1997 Monteroup with the 6g74 engine will work. Thanks in advance for your time and help!
Why don't you buy them from the dealer? I believe it's the only place to get them unless you can find them on fleabay. I haven't seen them on the russian site with others available for download.

ORIGINAL: Sebba

Its very simple. Look all the way around the valve cover and locate the bolts, then simply remove them and lift the valve cover clear. Then change the gasket and begin tightening the bolts again... but be VERY careful. Valve covers are extremely prone to cracking because they are not intended to be tied down tight. I know people that have been very cautious when bolting them back up and they have still cracked them.

Good luck
Sebba,

Can they be accessed directly? I would expect mitsu has the intake manifold in the way so you can't just remove the covers as easily as that.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:30 PM
Banned

I wasnt entirely sure. I guess it will all become aparent after he inspects what needs to be removed

Old 04-04-2007, 11:33 AM

http://www.monterosportonline.com/diy-perf2.html

This will help you get TO the valve cover....and I pm'd link to the book. Now it's the 6G75 I think? But it's close enough for the work you're doing. I've got my 6G74 torn down the decks and so far it's been spot on....EXCEPT for the location of the engine block drain plug. What a friggin' nightmare that was.

Don

Old 04-05-2007, 10:51 PM

Thanks for all the info. I am going to try to tackle this job this weekend!!!