Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

What exactly is a Dakar edition Montero?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 10:39 AM
Default What exactly is a Dakar edition Montero?

Hi,

Noob here and already searched the forums for this info and could not find anything. I currently own a 96 Montero SR and looking into upgrading to a newer model. I live in Puerto Rico so Montero's are easy to come by. The Montero i am looking at now is a 2001 Montero Dakar edition. I am trying to get a good deal on this. The guy selling it is rather old and is not sure if this is an XLS or Limited only knows that it is a Dakar edition. Comparing the photo of the montero i am interested in to stock photos of a XLS and a limited models it looks like it is a XLS. What I want to know is if the "Dakar Edition" is just a package that could be added on to either the XLS or the limited models and if so what does it consist of? The reason i ask is i am checking the values and there is a $1000 difference in the value of the XLS and the Limited models so I want to ensure I am getting a good deal and not overpaying. The site i am checking the values on does not give an option for "Dakar" model. Any help is greatly appreciated

Old 09-29-2015, 09:40 PM

I don't believe 2001 has a Dakar trim option. At least in US, the only two trims available for that year were XLS and Limited. I've seen Dakar option for earlier years (1999 I believe), but not for Gen 3 Monteros. If the guy who is selling the truck is not sure if he has an XLS or Limited then he is trying to rip you off. Makes me wonder if he is selling you a Montero or Montero Sport (those are NOT trim levels, they are different vehicles). Perhaps he is not sure about that ether. Get a VIN number off the truck and have any body shop decode it to make sure. That way you will know exactly what you are getting.