Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Wheel sizes for full size Montero

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Default Wheel sizes for full size Montero

Hey All,

I'm thinking of upgrading the wheels on my Monty Limited. Currently running the stock 16s(its an 04). I use the truck a decent amount for camping and to go snow boarding in Lake Tahoe. Therefore I do not want to lose the off-roading and all weather capability. I was thinking of getting 18 x8s. Any one with experience with a Monty with larger wheels, I'd like your input. Not really interested in 19s & up. Roads in SF are terrible and I don't have asn interest in huge flashy wheels. Not my thing anymore (bout I must be getting old. Lol)

Thanks all!

Old 02-12-2012, 06:29 PM

IMHO, keeping the stock rims is the way to go.
Invest the money in a larger tire size. You can fit up to 285's with just a two inch suspension lift. This way you get more side wall when aired down for the snow runs. I'm running 265/75's (E load) on my stock 16 rims and have never had a problem.
Good Luck

Old 02-12-2012, 09:32 PM

I agree with Mr. Z. I've got an 06 with the 17's. I wish I had the 16's. Much better tire availability and better prices to boot. I don't understand the need for the ever growing rim diameters??? Our roads in Wisconsin are crap. I see a lot of cars with massive rims and tires with no sidewalls. I imagine there life is quite short.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by xteacher
...Our roads in Wisconsin are crap. I see a lot of cars with massive rims and tires with no sidewalls. I imagine there life is quite short.
I can agree on keeping stock wheels, they're the best.

I live in Wisconsin also and the roads are all in good condition. But poor road conditions may exist out in the boonies...

Old 02-15-2012, 09:36 AM

Thanks for the input, all. Xteacher, interesting feedback about the 17s. I wonder if others have had the same experience. The roads out here in NoCal are pretty crappy as well although there is no snow, just really poor maintenance. I was actually considering a stock set of 17s but it's been hard to find a full set. Maybe I' ll rethink sizing up on the wheels. Thanks.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:14 PM

If you were closer I'd trade for your 16's. I have all 5, to bad you're about as far away as possible! I haven't had any trouble with the 17's by any means. What I'm referring to was the cars with 18's-22's with zero sidewalls. We have potholes here that will swallow a motorcycle wheel if you're not paying attention. My wife bent a 16" alloy with a 45 series tire on it. Hit a pothole at 35 mph.
Originally Posted by SilverCrush
Thanks for the input, all. Xteacher, interesting feedback about the 17s. I wonder if others have had the same experience. The roads out here in NoCal are pretty crappy as well although there is no snow, just really poor maintenance. I was actually considering a stock set of 17s but it's been hard to find a full set. Maybe I' ll rethink sizing up on the wheels. Thanks.