Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Will 32's work ok 98 Monty

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Default Will 32's work ok 98 Monty

Hey i have a 98 Montero and im looking to get some new tires for. I was thinking about running 32x11.5 BFG's and i was just wondering if anybody has these or knows if any changes are needed. If anybody has any knowledge of this let me know. I am also planning on the Old Man emu suspension so i wanted a little bigger tire for that. Plus the 31s i have on now just don't look big enough! i am aware of the speedo and the mileage changes.

Thanks!

Old 06-20-2008, 09:26 PM
Default RE: Will 32's work ok 98 Monty

well, you should consider what you are doing it for.

You can run 32's on it, just some things to think about:

The tires may rub when you turn, with 32's it won't be as big of a deal but if it does don't be surprised.
If you want to avoid rubbing you can get a slight body lift in order to compensate for it, here is a trusted resource for lifts (if you want, it is kind of a pain in the ***)
4crawler.com

Also, your speedometer will be slightly off because of the larger size, you can do one of three things:
1. Regear
2. be like my friend and take a GPS device that can tell you how fast you are going and translate the speed
3. ignore it

With the speedometer you will also loose a bit of torque, no big deal.

These are the negatives but it all honesty, there are many positives, you have more clearance underneath your monty and with the right tires you can do a lot more.

All-terrains for a 95%/5% road/offroad ratio, if you are doing a lot more wheeling I would go with the Mud-Terrains, even if the road travel is generally poorer, you will not regret it after you have had it on a trail. that being said, also consider where you are and where you will wheel. BFG's are always the best way to go, Bridgestone Duelers, no matter how much the tire stores insist on it, suck...

Have fun, good luck in the process