Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Dead Monty RIP

Old 03-10-2005, 07:44 PM
Default Dead Monty RIP

Well, after towing my Monty to a mechanic last monday. The mechanic said that the motor froze.
He couldn't even get it to even crank. Battery is good / Oil is plentyful. Unsure what is wrong with the truck.
Just replaced the alternator. The mechanic is speculating that the rods might have gone bad which means new motor.

Has anyone experienced similar?? Mileage on this truck is 147k miles. Its now on craigslist for $2500 "as-is"

~ons

Old 03-10-2005, 10:51 PM
pc
Default RE: Dead Monty RIP

Did it seize while you were driving it or was it parked for a long time? I'm thinking that if you were driving it and one of the rod bearings failed it would have given quite a noise before seizing.You should have heard a knocking sound as most of the bearing would be gone allowing the rod to move on the crank. Have you pulled the plugs? For instance, if your head gasket blew allowing oil to get into a cylinder and you parked it and oil filled one cylinder the engine may just be hydro-locked. Did it burn oil? Or the head gasket may have blown and allowed coolant to fill one or more cylinders that will also (more likely) hydro-lock the engine. If that's the case it's just a new head gasket. I'd pull the plugs and see what's in there.

Old 03-15-2005, 04:32 PM

The truck did not stall while driving. It stall after it was parked for a couple of hours. With the first few attempts the engine cranked but would not turn over. I thought it may have been the injectors so I just had it towed. The next time I attempted to start - it won't even crank at all.. this is when I towed it to the mechanic. I'll check with the findings on the plug.

Old 03-16-2005, 11:46 AM
pc

You can try to turn it over when the plugs have been removed, that should force out anything inside and you will be able to see which cylinder. Careful to not have your head under there when it is turned over as you risk getting something in your eye's.

Old 03-17-2005, 01:21 AM

i'll check that out. first thing in the morning... thanks PC!

Old 03-18-2005, 10:54 AM

Did the timing belt break and bend the valves?