Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

will the transmission go bad? (2002 Montero Limited)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2023, 01:50 PM
Default will the transmission go bad? (2002 Montero Limited)

Hi,

I'd really appreciate your experienced and relatively professional (maybe expert?) opinions, but pls be tender 'cause this is my baby Be patient, let me lay this out:

FACT -- 2002 Montero Limited;
FACT -- Bought used @ 69,000 miles;
FACT -- Now @ 81,000 miles;
FACT -- Before me, it had two owners, a very clean CarFax record, no accidents, regularly maintained, each drove about 3K-4K per year;
FACT -- Upon my purchase, I immediately had my mechanic replace the timing belt (water pump, tensioner belt), fixed a few oil leak and coolant leak areas -- a very minor coolant leak persists on a pipe that will have to wait;
FACT -- Upon my purchase, my mechanic didn't see the need to drain the transmission fluid or replace the filter because he inspected the oil and found it to be clean, clear, and without any bad scent;
FACT -- With the exception of using 4H when it's raining, I don't do any downshifting, I don't do off-roading, I don't abuse this engine and/or transmission, and I do "baby" this car, but I don't "grandma" this car -- I drive it like a normal person, sometimes I haul ***, mostly I cruise;
FACT -- I've experienced ZERO transmission symptoms;
FACT -- I have noticed, however, that this beautiful car is a heavy car, and its torque isn't great (on the low range), but I don't believe this is a transmission issue;
FACT -- On my first morning cold start, when I shift into DRIVE, I usually wait have a second before I add gas, as I wait for it to get in gear -- I baby it;
FACT -- Last week -- not on a cold start -- I shifted into REVERSE, I stepped on gas, then I heard a putt/putt/putt -- I stopped. I shifted into DRIVE, heard same. Then I waited about ten minutes, I shifted into DRIVE, sound wasn't there, and I drove away. I heard it again an hour later, did same process, then sound completely went away;
FACT -- Upon this experience (above), I took car to my mechanic, he adjusted the linkage (said it was off "a little," but it was not loose, and it looked to be sound), and then he inspected the oil, found it to be clean and clear (still red-ish), not residual, no ****, no scent. But I insisted on draining the fluid, changing filer and gasket, which he agreed, and I insisted on Diamond SP III (as per manual), although he said Eneos Synthetic would be fine, but I insisted on waiting for the fluid to arrive.
FACT -- The fluid took a week to get here, and in that week of waiting, there were ZERO symptoms, and the car drove perfectly.
FACT -- Upon the fluid arriving, we drained, changed filter and gasket ... AND THEN, here it comes, my mechanic saw shavings in the pan -- probably about 1.5 tablespoons, gold-ish, 99% very fine, but there were one or two very slightly larger pieces.
FACT -- My mechanic said, Don't panic just yet! He said usually when he sees this, there's a lot of symptoms already, and he said the fluid is most certainly black and burnt. But he said it's odd that this isn't my case. So we drained and will monitor.

The day after I drained, I drove 400 miles to Big Sur, then 400 miles back (was really scared on the road, especially during highway inclines). But zero symptoms.

What are my options? Rebuilt tranny? Vs. Finding used on somewhere AND TRUSTING that it's good? I mean, mine was at 69,000 miles upon purchase! Also -- looking at the history of this car, I'm not sure when these shavings happened. The two owners didn't drive it often. Also, I'd imagine someone flushed transmission at, maybe, 30,000 ish, and possibly didn't use SP III, and maybe that caused slippage? If that's case, is my tranny salvageable? How long will it last? How do I maintain?

I love this car, literally just got it less than a year ago -- so I'm stressed, frustrated, and not sure if I should start an exit strategy, or how can I dig in and save this baby!

Anyway, would LOVE your thoughts and experienced perspective.

=

Old 07-15-2023, 08:23 AM

Follow the wise words from the "Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy" - DON'T PANIC. It sounds like you have a good ecperienced mechanic who is thorough and knowledgeable. What you've done with fluid change is good for transmission health. Transmissions are designed in such way that they shed some small amount of particles and that his normal. All yhatvgetsccaught in the pan. If this shedding becomes excessive, that indicates a problem. The excessive wear is visible though fluid condition. Keep an eye on it during your regular maintenance and just drive this vehicle. Your transmission is virtually brand new. With proper maintenance it will serve you for many years. Mine has 280k and I still go up in the mountains with my Monty and tow a trailer with it.

Old 07-15-2023, 02:51 PM

@HunterD --

Dude, thank you so much for your thoughts on this -- was hoping you'd get a chance to see my post!

UPDATE -- I was able to stop by C & A a few days ago, they're one of the top/best Montero mechanics in SoCal, and I told him the scenario/showed him a few pics, and they said, "Don't panic! This is what I'd do, drain/replace fluid, filter and gasket again in 5K to check for shavings (IF there are, then you know it's an issue), then spend the $ to check again at another 5K. And if there are NO shavings at either interval, then check again at 10K/15K." ... And he said that's the best/wisest approach for this situation, because he said I don't need to get in there just yet because it's driving fine. He said there's gonna be wear and tear but if it's in the pain and not in the oil, this is what he said to do.

(I have another 25K left in my extended warranty, which does cover the transmission, so while I don't want ANYTHING to happen for at least 100K, I am aware of the timeline for the warranty.)

I'm gonna stop by Ozzy's (another top/best Montero mechanic in SoCal), but C & A said they should probably advise in the same way, "unless they're really hungry for money."

He also said I prob can't find a transmission for this car, and even if I did, it's gonna be just as hard to trust, so he said, "IF you need to rebuild, come back and I'll help you find someone good -- and as long as they're a great transmission tech, they'll be able to do a great job in rebuilding.)

So I'm gonna stop by Ozzy's next week just for a second opinion, but in the meantime, I'm gonna TRY TO NOT PANIC, ENJOY MY MONTERO, but NOT BE RECKLESS WITH THE TRANSMISSION/ENGINE, etc. It is still scary though, now I'm always paranoid about being stranded somewhere. But he said I'd see some signs before I get stranded.

Anything to add to all this?!

Thank you, thank you!