Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

maintenance ? new to me Montero Sport

Old 05-05-2018, 10:19 PM
Default maintenance ? new to me Montero Sport

New to these forums and now have a new to me 2002 Montero Sport ES, 2WD, automatic, 145k on the clock. No wrecks according to Car Fax. Very clean interior. Starts, runs and stops. Everything seems to work (lights, AC, heat, locks, mirrors, etc). Idle seems a little hight to me (roughly 1200rpm in P about 1 minute after start up), but it idles at around 600rpm while at a stoplight in D and it's been a while since I've owned a Mitsubishi. Doesn't seem to leak anything but's its been raining like crazy all day and I park it outside.

Just picked the truck up today, manuals are already ordered as nothing came with the rig. I'm the 3rd owner. Original owner had it for 15 years, but maintenance records are spotty past routine oil change info that I can dig up.

My initial thought, as I don't know the history, is to do the following in the coming days/weeks:

-tires (were not good, replaced them today)
-oil & filter - done today (shop says at some point during an earlier oil change a temporary plug was used in the oil pan - going to have to see if it can be tapped and replaced or find a replacement pan & plug)
-brake inspection/repair
-coolant flush
-tranny flush
-rear diff service
-plugs/belt/tune up
-timing belt
-fuel filter
-injector cleaning

Am I missing anything obvious at 145k with little history at my disposal? Once the manuals are here I'll put together a plan but it's been a while since I owned my '91 & '97 Monteros and am anxious to get started.

Thanks in advance for the thoughts/ideas.

Last edited by tnmontero; 05-06-2018 at 11:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-07-2018, 11:41 AM

I think you got all the main items that need to be addressed in your list. I would add REPLACE break fluid, since you don't know how old it is.
As far as transmission service - don't known what you mean by "FLUSH". If you are talking about "power" flushing transmission backwards to get to all nooks and crannies, as many shops recommend, I would not do that. Just change the transmission fluid according to Mitsubishi service guidelines. Also make sure to use Mitsubishi fluid for that, don't go with generic. Mitsubishi transmissions are notorious about not liking non-Mitsu fluids.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:59 AM

Thanks HunterD. You're right, the tranny "flush" as you describe it doesn't sound like a good idea. Thanks for the intel on the tranny fluid too. I'd read that on these boards (I think) and this was a great reminder. I imagine that a good non-dealer shop can get the Mitsubishi fluid? Can you recommend a good source, just in case?

Old 05-07-2018, 12:26 PM

I get mine at the local Mitsubishi dealership. I find that the cost of Mitsubishi trans fluid is pretty close to that of a reputable brands trans fluid, so you are not "loosing" any money going that route. You are avoiding doing transmission service twice, so you are actually saving money