Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Worth replacing inner/outer tie rods?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 10:22 AM
Default Worth replacing inner/outer tie rods?

2002 Limited @ 101k miles.

I purchased the 'lifetime rotation and alignment' package from Firestone the last time I purchased tires (all 4). Over the next 50,000 miles I caught Firestone multiple times not rotating the tires during oil changes and towards the end of the tire life they stopped doing the alignment as well claiming that the adjustment nuts were frozen.

Needless to say when I purchased 4 new tires recently I did not go back to them. New shop confirmed that there are frozen adjustments on the front axle of the vehicle. They did what they could and the Monty tracks straight but the wheel is off center when going straight - not a big deal to me.

They quoted me around $900 to replace inner and outer front tie rods on both driver and passenger sides. I've got another quote for $650 from YourMechanic (they come to you and do the work in your driveway).

My question is : Is this really worth it considering I'm planning on selling the Monty sometime in the next 9 months? The Monty has never been a daily driver and after this coming summer it will spend 99% of it's time sitting in the driveway. Are frozen tie rod adjustments something that will tear up the front end if it isn't corrected?

Thanks for inputs.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:33 PM

The only thing it will do is chew up the tires faster than if the wheels were aligned properly. The replacement job is not that hard to do it yourself. The parts themselves will be around $100 for a set of inner and outer tie end rods. With little research and some elbow grease you can do the work. No matter who does the job, you'll need to get an alignment done afterwards.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by HunterD
The only thing it will do is chew up the tires faster than if the wheels were aligned properly. The replacement job is not that hard to do it yourself. The parts themselves will be around $100 for a set of inner and outer tie end rods. With little research and some elbow grease you can do the work. No matter who does the job, you'll need to get an alignment done afterwards.
That would explain the difference in the 2 quotes I received. Thanks for your input.