Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

"CEL" anybody else had this problem?

Old 04-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Default "CEL" anybody else had this problem?

i recently installed an aftermarket mas adapter and filter in place of my factory airbox. everything was okay for about 4-5 days then the other day my "CEL" (check engine light) popped up. i went to autozone to see what error code they could find and it said my engine was running lean. i haven't really felt any noticable difference in driving, but i'm not sure what to think.

i mean it could be a bad maf which i'll check later, it could be bad o2 sensor, or it could be it's not running lean at all.

given the problems which a lean running engine can cause, i'm trying to figure it out rather than just hoping it's not running lean, and waiting.

i'm just wondering if anyone else has came across this problem, and if so what they did about it?
also any other advice which might help me resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance!

Old 04-27-2006, 03:15 PM
Default RE: "CEL" anybody else had this problem?

I replaced my whole intake with a custom intake made my myself and that had no problems at all. You shouldn't get a CEL from ditching the stock box and filter. It's odd that it was fine for 4-5 days, it should have thrown a CEL sooner than that if it was due to the intake changes. Is there a chance your fuel delivery is an issue?

Old 05-01-2006, 11:42 AM
JMC

This happens....make sure you cut the battery for about 45 minutes right after you do your mod. You should be fine after that. the ECU needs to check out the new mod.

Old 05-01-2006, 04:13 PM

The ECU is really that slow to throw a CEL?? I have never encountered one on the Mitsu, but on my other domestic cars when I got a CEL from a mod it was instantaneous. Maybe there is something to this study they are doing on the diagnostic systems on the 06's.

Old 07-15-2006, 02:31 PM

take the neg connection off, thousand 1....thousand 2...etc.... re-set it and yaw good to go.

Old 07-15-2006, 03:36 PM

wicked is right try taking it off for a few seconds and reconnecting it the battery cable that is.....this always worked for me

Old 07-15-2006, 04:33 PM

Disconnecting your battery will reset the CEL, but if the light comes back on- then you may have a legitimate problem. I'd recommend double checking your connections after the airflow sensor. Any intake leaks after the airflow sensor is unmeasured, therefore your not getting enough fuel for that amount of air that's entering the engine. Be sure you have all vacuum hoses connected and secured.
If you cannot get this issue resolved with your aftermarket setup , i'd highly suggest you go back to stock rather that running a constant lean condition.

Joel, CA

Old 07-16-2006, 05:49 PM

yeah make sure you check it, it could be something about your fuel connections or ignitions. but cel only happened to me ones, and that is when one of my plug wire connection came off. other than that, i, never had a cel problem w/ my mitsu's.

Old 07-16-2006, 09:14 PM

Yes, sometimes the CEL light takes 200 - 250 miles to illuminate on your dash. I would check the aftermarket sensor you purchased; maybe go back to the stock sensor for a short time to see if that resolves the problem. How many miles and what type of aftermarket sensor did you purchase?

Old 11-23-2012, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by JMC
This happens....make sure you cut the battery for about 45 minutes right after you do your mod. You should be fine after that. the ECU needs to check out the new mod.

Taking the negative cable off for 10 seconds is sufficient, no need to wait 45min.

We had a lot of heavy heavy fog the last few days, and I had a CEL pop up. Must be the MAF sensor picking up too much moisture.

Simply disconnect battery and reset is done. You are all good unless it stays on of course!

Quoting a friend here:
"As for CELs, basically any system that is being monitored by the ECU can trigger the CEL. In the early days of OBDII there were only a few sensors on the engine (single knock sensor, single O2 sensor, MAF, Ignition control module, fuel injectors) but now there are many sensors and tighter ECU control of the engine. And because of emissions regulations the sensitivity of the sensors is increased so that problems can be detected and remedied quicker.

Yeah, the soft codes are codes that indicate an intermittent problem but will usually go away after a few days if the problem is no longer being detected (misfire, EVAP system, gas cap, etc.).

Hard codes usually come up when there is a continuous problem with a sensor or an implausible signal is given to the ECU, making it impossible for the engine to control itself properly or creating a potentially damaging situation. For example if there is a problem with a camshaft position sensor and the ECU can’t properly detect the mechanical timing of the engine, it will default to a “limp” mode and run with reduced power until the proper signal from the sensor can be restored. Same with the MAF, if it is not sending the proper signal voltage then the car will go into limp mode and use the RPM sensor to approximate the amount of air going into the engine. The CEL will stay on until the code is manually cleared (disconnecting the battery won’t clear the code)."