Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Anybody had the TSB 040108 done yet?

Old 09-18-2008, 11:02 AM
Default Anybody had the TSB 040108 done yet?

Anybody had the TSB 040108 done yet? Winter is fast approaching and it's predicted to be a severe one. So at this early i'm getting all prepped in my Outlander. Priority on the list is TSB 0713010 and TSB 040108, all have something to do with cold temps.

My dealer refused to do the relays, but I'm going back there and give it a 2nd shot. The 040108 TSB, the mechanic said he couldn't locate the TSB. Since I'm going to the dealer again for some other issues, I want to give this another shot.

Anybody's got a full TSB pdf for TSB-040108? Anybody successfully done this yet?

Old 09-18-2008, 02:13 PM
Default RE: Anybody had the TSB 040108 done yet?

TSB's are Technical Service Bulletins. They are notices that are sent to service shops of repairs covered under warranty that may or may not effect all cars. Just because there is a TSB issued does not mean your car is having or going to have the problem described. Dealers are allowed to charge you if you ask them to check and see if your car having the issues covered under a TSB if it is not having the problem.

AKA if you bring your car into a shop and say hey I want you to do this TSB on my car and they find it is not needed they can charge you there hourly rate for a diagnostics charge. Easy way to look at a TSB if you are not experiencing any issues when you bring your car to the dealer or service shop next time for what ever you need done ask them to also check on the TSB. DO NOT GO IN STRICTLY TO HAVE THEM DO A TSB IF YOU ARE NOT HAVING ANY ISSUES WITH YOUR CAR.

To learn about current TSB's click the TSB link in the navigational bar on this site. Normally TSB's are not released to the public specifically to avoid people running into the dealer and saying hey I want you to fix this problem even though i dont know if I am having it. As rcpax noted "My dealer refused to do the relays" is this most likely because the car didn't actually need to have it done or his dealer is just a *****.

In short don't go running to your dealer saying hey I saw this TSB I want you to do it on my car as it will most likely be refused. Just keep an eye out for problems that have TSBs noted as a number of other people have had the issue and its been decided there are enough of them to justify the notice to dealers.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:40 PM

Been to the dealer. And still, the service guy said he won't do the relays and the reprogram of the ECU because the car doesn't have the problem. So it looks like you have to be stuck at -10F finding your car won't start before they would even consider replacing the relays. Well, I'm just being preemptive. For sure nobody wants to sit out in freezing temp and have their vehicle towed when you could have replaced the relays during fall. Hopefully it doesn't happen to me, especially with a baby on board.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:01 PM

I've got the same answer from my dealer. I'll contact Mitsu Canada to see what they have to say about it.
Mazda3 had a similar problem but I was able to get the relay replaced proactively.
I can somehow understand them refusing to replace the relays proactively, on the first attempt, but why not update the ECU? Anyone should be running the latest available version I would think.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:15 PM

Exactly, that's what I told him. If you can't do the relays, why not the reprogram. He asked if something wrong with the heating system of the car. I said, what's supposed to be normal? If the TSB says something about the heater performance, then I guess my car does not perform the way the manufacturer meant it to be, hence the TSB. I guess I need to get hold of the actual TSB so I can keep an eye on the heater during winter. Anyways, I was there for a separate business, so I thought I could have them do it while I'm there, since it's a little out of the way for me. No luck for me this time.