Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Anyone had 60K mile valve adjustment service done?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Default Anyone had 60K mile valve adjustment service done?

My 07 Outlander LS has 65K miles on it and is due for valve adjustment. I am wondering if anyone on the forum has had this service done and what they paid for it if performed by a dealer or independent shop. I am not sure if this is a reasonable DIY job. Any info will be appreciated.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:35 PM

After looking at the service manual, this does not look to be the easiest of checks....we skipped it.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
After looking at the service manual, this does not look to be the easiest of checks....we skipped it.
What do you mean? It seems not very tricky.
1. Warm up engine, remove coils, cover.
2. Check the clearance, adjust as needed. Repeat 12 times.
3. Put back cover and coils.

part of Service Manual

No special tools required. The only problem I see - there are 12 of exhaust valves, so you should be quick to do it before engine cools down - clearance of .2 mm (.008") is for 80-95C (176-203F) warmed engine.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:04 PM

I have a real dislike for removing rocker/valve covers. Last two vehicles I've done (Ranger 3.0L and Grand Prix 3.8L) have been real pains. It isn't like the older V8s where you just pop the covers off. The ranger had to take the upper intake manifold, coil pack, throttle body off to get access to driver's cover. The grand prix, I remember the coil pack came off, one fuel rail. There were lots of other little tidbits to disconnect...but I forget the whole list.

Looking at 11B-14 shows that the intake manifold plenum (I'd call it the upper intake manifold...) would also need to come off. So then you'd need to make sure that you pick up a set of valve cover gaskets and "intake plenum" gaskets...just for an inspection. Maybe at 100k I'll check it. Engine sounds real good so far.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
I have a real dislike for removing rocker/valve covers. Last two vehicles I've done (Ranger 3.0L and Grand Prix 3.8L) have been real pains. It isn't like the older V8s where you just pop the covers off. The ranger had to take the upper intake manifold, coil pack, throttle body off to get access to driver's cover. The grand prix, I remember the coil pack came off, one fuel rail. There were lots of other little tidbits to disconnect...but I forget the whole list.

Looking at 11B-14 shows that the intake manifold plenum (I'd call it the upper intake manifold...) would also need to come off. So then you'd need to make sure that you pick up a set of valve cover gaskets and "intake plenum" gaskets...just for an inspection. Maybe at 100k I'll check it. Engine sounds real good so far.
You're right, after having a quick look at the rear bank, blocked by intake manifold, now I fully agree with you

Old 04-01-2011, 07:04 PM

Adjusting the valve lash is a lot less expensive than replacing a cam shaft. I picked up a '73 Capri that the owner didn.'t know that the valve lash had to be adjusted. Little Ford 2 ltr. for $25.00. Replaced cam and followers, drove the little devil for 2 years until rear-ended.

Made a lot of money off an owner that didn't service his car.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by milliesdad
Adjusting the valve lash is a lot less expensive than replacing a cam shaft. I picked up a '73 Capri that the owner didn.'t know that the valve lash had to be adjusted. Little Ford 2 ltr. for $25.00. Replaced cam and followers, drove the little devil for 2 years until rear-ended.

Made a lot of money off an owner that didn't service his car.
Damage to the engine is what I am worried about. Loose valve clearances are merely annoying. Too tight, and I am afraid of wear to the cam and followers. My engine still runs well but I have noticed that the slight valve tick it had around 44K miles is now gone. Makes me wonder if clearances have gotten smaller. Looks like I will have to set aside a Saturday to do this.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by mda185
Damage to the engine is what I am worried about. Loose valve clearances are merely annoying. Too tight, and I am afraid of wear to the cam and followers. My engine still runs well but I have noticed that the slight valve tick it had around 44K miles is now gone. Makes me wonder if clearances have gotten smaller. Looks like I will have to set aside a Saturday to do this.

If you are wiorried about engine damage, do the valve adjusment. If you no longer hear the valves ticling, they are running tight.