Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

"Possible Icy Roads".... argh!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 04:55 PM
Default RE: "Possible Icy Roads".... argh!

The magic number is 37. I dont know how they figured out 37 when water freezes at 32.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:25 PM

Likely a team of 10 physics majors studying for 6 months came up with the magic number based on some combination the temperature sensor's accuracy (including accuracy based on putting it right by a heat radiator) and the difference from air temperature versus road's surface temperature (which may be colder, and thus still have ice). And yet they still failed to consider those of us who park in garages... If you factor that in, it should probably be something like 50-55 degrees F for the warning!

Old 11-19-2007, 06:57 PM

ORIGINAL: brian360
Likely a team of 10 physics majors ....
And 10 lawyers, I'm sure!

Old 11-19-2007, 09:36 PM

Ghee, I thought most of us (Including ppl in JaPan) have bridges right out of our garage/driveways which we know freezes before roads. So the warning is ample enuf for me.. Open Garage door, Start car, Pull forward to driveway, close garage door, pull off driveway onto bridge which will be slippery at 37 degrees, (make sure 4 wheel drive lock), Skate delicately over top of bridge hoping Anti Skid works well (Now in extreme sweet) going down opposite side of bridge, hit neighbors garbade can because of Black Ice, Now on solid non salted 38 degree road.

And just think, the neighbor is a cop!

Drive off safely before he gets out of house...
Repaint bumper for the 10th time... And repeat

Old

Old 11-20-2007, 06:57 AM

I noticed it works like this for me...
Turn on car.
TPMS error come on.
Acknowledge with button.
Pull out of driveway.
Icy conditions warning comes on.
TPMS error comes back on.
Acknowledge with button.

I guess once an error gets raised, they all cycle through again or something.

On the happy side... snowy commute this morning and it really is rock steady.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:03 AM

Im still waiting for the snow..

Old 11-20-2007, 01:58 PM

my endeavor had a snowflake that would come up on the info screen when it was below freezing...but it would never make a noise or chime...

Old 11-21-2007, 08:19 AM

I suppose it is somewhat useful when you're traveling for a longer period of time and the temperature drops

Old 10-09-2012, 08:12 AM

so there is no solution for disabling this... I got to say this is the most annoying vehicle I have ever owned, 2 months after I purchased it... i can't wait to get rid of it. I am looking for some method to re-program the ecu to turn off the damn traction control on start up and the tpms as well. I just want to get in a vehicle and drive, I don't want a vehicle taking over nor do need to be reminded that its cold out side, or that my tire pressure may be low (only because I have no sensors for winter). having to turn off the traction control and push a stupid little button every time i get into the outlander is RIDICULOUSNESS.

If I can find away to do this I will post it on here, I have recently purchased an ODB interface that will allow me to link up to my ecu, and I have a buddy who is a hardware programmer, so hopefully between the two of us, we will find a way to reprogram the ecu to turn off these annoying features

Old 10-09-2012, 08:56 AM

Way to bring a 5 year old thread back to life

Buy any new car and see if it comes with traction control OFF when you start it. Let us know what you find.....

PS: nice name, you're an idiot

Quick Reply: "Possible Icy Roads".... argh!