Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

"Possible Icy Roads".... argh!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Smile

most new new vehicles i test drove had an easy way to turn off the traction control, press the button and it turned off, vs having to hold it in for 10 seconds to disable. I find its way to sensitive, it kicks in when I pull out into traffic in a hurry and the outlander bucks across lanes just like someone trying to drive a standard shift for the first time. It i could just simply push the button and it turn off it would be great, but that isn't the case, and it is very irritating. So even if I could set it to turn off at the push of the button that would be great.

The tpms system drives me nuts as well... i drove for the first time in some cold weather and the tpms system kicked in to notify me of low tire pressure. Fine and dandy, but to be notified every 5 mins on my 40 minute drive to work is a bit much. So if i don't get winter tires/rims with tpms I have to put up with that irritation every time I get into the outlander and look at that stupid notification every day for 6 months. My dealer can't seem to get pricing right on tpms sensors. parts desk says they are 100 each, service desk tells me 300 for a set of 4, and the staff are pretty much at the same desk.

so i am sorry if you think i am an idiot, but I am trying to find a solution to these everyday annoyances to make the outlander a bit less annoying in my life, until i can put it up for sale next spring and get clear of it and go back to a full size truck.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:29 AM

TPMS is part of owning a new car plain and simple. The govt is who you need to have beef with if you dont like it.

If you are putting on snow tires in October, then that means you must live in a cold region where 4x4 or AWD is needed. Putting it into 4WD Auto will greatly increase stability and traction as you are gunning it while pulling into traffic. In 2wd mode the Outlander (v6) has enough torque to constantly be spinning tires like you have described. Which then kicks in the ASC.

The Outlander's ASC (Active Stability Control) is not just a typical traction control system, hence why it takes a 3 second button push to disable it. I'm not going to type out the long description of how and why it works, you can use the "Search" for that.

Lastly, does the Outlander love alerts on the dash??? Yes. I guess your next vehicle (if not a full size truck) can be a nice Honda or Toyota, which then all your time disguested by alerts will be then used waiting on your car at the dealership due to recalls....

Honda to recall 268,000 SUVs in US: report - Yahoo! News Philippines
Toyota recalls 7.4 million vehicles for balky window switches in reversal | Motoramic - Yahoo! Autos

Old 10-10-2012, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by ihatemyoutlander
most new new vehicles i test drove had an easy way to turn off the traction control, press the button and it turned off, vs having to hold it in for 10 seconds to disable. I find its way to sensitive, it kicks in when I pull out into traffic in a hurry and the outlander bucks across lanes just like someone trying to drive a standard shift for the first time. It i could just simply push the button and it turn off it would be great, but that isn't the case, and it is very irritating. So even if I could set it to turn off at the push of the button that would be great.

The tpms system drives me nuts as well... i drove for the first time in some cold weather and the tpms system kicked in to notify me of low tire pressure. Fine and dandy, but to be notified every 5 mins on my 40 minute drive to work is a bit much. So if i don't get winter tires/rims with tpms I have to put up with that irritation every time I get into the outlander and look at that stupid notification every day for 6 months. My dealer can't seem to get pricing right on tpms sensors. parts desk says they are 100 each, service desk tells me 300 for a set of 4, and the staff are pretty much at the same desk.

so i am sorry if you think i am an idiot, but I am trying to find a solution to these everyday annoyances to make the outlander a bit less annoying in my life, until i can put it up for sale next spring and get clear of it and go back to a full size truck.

just wondering but you are complaing that the tpms is working yet you risk a 40 minute commute when the tpms has already told you the pressure is low..?

sorry but when mine prompts me, ( only twice and both times were a slow leak) I get the heck to a station and fill it up. I definatley woudnt risk a potential flat.

Your also complaing that it takes 2 seconds longer to turn off the traction control then in other vehicles and that is unreasonable? The amount of times I have bumped that button with my knee, I am glad it it takes longer.

Last edited by theewz; 10-10-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:06 PM

you might want to look into the ETACS programming thread. getting a reader wont' do much for you. They've found a Chinese device that can do programming.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:31 PM

I think you will find most new cars have this same issue. If you push and hold the info button for about two seconds at start up, you will not get the chime for the tpms, however you will still get the message. It doesn't bother me too much. You can always go ahead abd buy the tpms sensors and reprogram spring and fall. (That may sound like a hassle as well)

BTW, if your sensors go off in cold weather, it's probably due to your lack of maintaining tire pressure. You do realize that as the temperature drops, so does the tire air pressure!? Aluminum rims don't necessarily help this. Proper tire pressure can save you fuel.

Good Luck
Mark

Old 10-11-2012, 12:08 PM

I did find the thread on the programming of the ETACS and I've managed to find the software required. But like you say, I will need to get my hands on the actual programer instead of a reader. With any luck I will be able to turn off the tpms and have the traction control disabled on start up.

Yes i did risk a 40 min commute, because I knew that it was a cold morning and that my air pressure was down slightly due to the cold temps, and I did inspect my tires before i started my commute. I don't have the luxury of having a gas station near by. I am 40 mins away from the nearest gas station.

When i go to put my winter rims and tires on, that message is going to appear every time i get in and start the outlander. I refuse to pay over $2000 for tires/ rims/ and tpms sensors for my outlander at the dealer or anywhere locally, so i . I don't need to be reminded every time i start the car that my tire preasure is low when in fact i won't have sensors.

If I had been aware of all these notifications, and "features" of the outlander.. I would have never have bought it.

my previous truck had tmps and traction control, but all that would come on is a little tiny light in the dash, and the only time the TCS never kicked in once while i had it. There is just way too much technology in this rig. maybe i am too old school, but everyone got along fine driving for years with no tpms and traction control... ever watch top gear.. first thing those guys do with every ride.. turn off traction control.. If i wanted a car to do the driving for me.. I'll buy the Google car.. but i am a driver, i don't want to be the passenger when i am behind the wheel. I really can't wait to put it up for sale next year.. with it only being 4 months old, its just not justifiable to sell or trade it now, and probably the same situation next spring as well but it won't hurt as bad..

Old 10-13-2012, 12:09 PM

I did find the thread on the programming of the ETACS and I've managed to find the software required. But like you say, I will need to get my hands on the actual programer instead of a reader. With any luck I will be able to turn off the tpms and have the traction control disabled on start up.

Yes i did risk a 40 min commute, because I knew that it was a cold morning and that my air pressure was down slightly due to the cold temps, and I did inspect my tires before i started my commute. I don't have the luxury of having a gas station near by. I am 40 mins away from the nearest gas station.

When i go to put my winter rims and tires on, that message is going to appear every time i get in and start the outlander. I refuse to pay over $2000 for tires/ rims/ and tpms sensors for my outlander at the dealer or anywhere locally, so i . I don't need to be reminded every time i start the car that my tire preasure is low when in fact i won't have sensors.

If I had been aware of all these notifications, and "features" of the outlander.. I would have never have bought it.

my previous truck had tmps and traction control, but all that would come on is a little tiny light in the dash, and the only time the TCS never kicked in once while i had it. There is just way too much technology in this rig. maybe i am too old school, but everyone got along fine driving for years with no tpms and traction control... ever watch top gear.. first thing those guys do with every ride.. turn off traction control.. If i wanted a car to do the driving for me.. I'll buy the Google car.. but i am a driver, i don't want to be the passenger when i am behind the wheel. I really can't wait to put it up for sale next year.. with it only being 4 months old, its just not justifiable to sell or trade it now, and probably the same situation next spring as well but it won't hurt as bad..
I love these arguments. "We never had this when I was young and we got along just fine!" "I got 12 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I like it!"... "We never had that darn penicillin when I was a kid, we just used sulfa drugs and look at me, I'm alive!"

If you hate your Outlander, sell it. Don't just come here and bitch that you hate it. As for the guys in top gear, well, when you take your Outlander to the track so you can drift it around corners in a perfectly predictable fashion, then sure, turn off your traction control. But if you listen to them, they ALWAYS turn the traction control back ON when they're driving off the track, because they know it makes for a safer drive.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:22 PM

Sell the thing and move to another forum. Please...Please

You will complain just the same unless you get yourself a junk from the past with a big engine, no brake and no steering.
Also I suppose with no seat belt since your a real man and you don't need that sissy safety device.