Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

03 Outlander...how bad of damage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 11:25 PM
Default 03 Outlander...how bad of damage?

Hi everyone new to the forums and want to thank everyone in advance for any help I receive.

OK, wife is driving the car today and it just dies, doing around 40mph or so. She coasts it over to a safe spot and she tries to crank it over..won't start. She calls me we get a tow in route and I drive out to meet her. I get there and try to crank it over..turns over won't start. While waiting for the tow I look up possible causes. OK...fuel pump or timing belt. Lift the seat can hear pump kick on when key is turned on. Get it home, take top timing cover off and crap..belt is shredded.

Here,s the thing. I understand that when a timing belt fails the possibility of engine damage is near 100% BUT the belt is NOT completely broke. Most of it is still there and tight around the gears.

I also ran an obd2 and got codes for crank pos sensor & cam pos sensor..

Ok I look up how to do the job and begin the process now I'm stuck on the crank bolt. I can't get that nut off holding on the harmonic any suggestions?

Also is this all for not? Is the top end/valves bent or ruined? I also tried the old "put the socket on and bump the starter" to get that nut off..bad Iknow but the engine sounds normal on turnover.

Does anyone have a factory manual or pictorial on any of this job? How screwed am I? New car isn't happening so I'm going all in on this one. Anything else I should be doing as long as im in here?

Again appreciate any help. Thanks

Old 07-31-2016, 12:00 AM

Oh one more probably important thing! When the cam is lined up TDC the crank is off the notch by probably 60 degrees...

Old 07-31-2016, 07:09 AM

Questionable. From what I've read, I think your engine is the 4g69 and is an interference engine....meaning if the belt snaps, Mr valve and Mr piston get in a fight. However since yours shredded and was only off severely, I think it would be worth a shot just replacing the belt and see how lucky you are.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:23 PM

How many miles on the car out of curiosity?