Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

03 Outlander Parasitic Draw

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 07:40 PM
Default 03 Outlander Parasitic Draw

I'm trying to fix my mothers vehicle. It is an 03 Outlander AWD and i've got a few questions.

The car has a draw on the battery when it sits. However it is not consistent. Basics have been covered. Its got a new interstate battery, the alternator is charging and the terminals are clean, tight and corrosion free.

Like I said some nights it can sit and start up the next day fine. Next day go out and try to start it and nothing on the dash lights up. Measure voltage at the battery and it reads around 7 volts. Charge battery up, let it sit over night, sometimes its fine the next day, sometimes not again.

Every time I put my amp meter on it to measure amp draw I come up with somewhere around 25-35 milliamps (.025-.035) of draw which in previous experience with other vehicles isn't terrible. What is the acceptable limit for this car?

After letting it sit for an hour to let all the modules and everything go to sleep the draw remains the same with random spikes up to 50-60 milliamps every so often. I can pull fuse #10 in the engine compartment fuse box (10 amp fuse) for the A/C system and the draw goes down dramatically to around 10 milliamps. The problem is I don't have a wiring diagram to see what components are fed by that circuit. I have unplugged the compressor clutch, the high side pressure switch, various things under the dash with no results. I am chasing my tail without a wiring diagram.

Anyone have any suggestions or experience with this? Sorry about the book but thanks for reading it.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:20 AM

This happened to a vehicle I had in the past - it turned out to be accessories added onto the battery - towing package wiring. Once disconnected, it stopped.
Not sure if you have anything like that.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:12 PM

Nope, the vehicle has nothing like that. I just need to find a wiring diagram somewhere so I can better track down what is on that #10 fuse circuit.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:57 PM

*Fixed*

Turned out to be a sticking ac compressor relay. Was drawing about 25 milliamps. Unplugged and swapped with another good relay and the draw stayed away. Has started fine ever since.