Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

07 Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006 | 04:50 AM
|
Default 07 Outlander

So, just some quick things that I've been looking into since my purchase.

1. We are getting shafted on a lot of accessories from MMC. Such as these: http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/...jsp?groupId=22

2. There are some options that we don't get compared to the JDM Outlander. Such as: backup camera, tv tuner, and heated/cooled upper glove box (you'll see the cutout for the fan if you look).

3. The DVD/AUX functions only shut down while driving above 5mph. I am 99.9% sure that the only thing that needs to be bypassed is the VSS wire. My only fear is that the unit might use the satellite's to determine whether or not the vehicle is actually moving. That could pose a different problem.

4. There is some kind of sporadic noise from the front end. I'm not sure if it's a clunk.

5. I'm going to look into turning on the foglights while the headlights are on.

6. There are at least 3 TSB's on the Outlander. I can't find out what they are though. I know for sure that one is for the Nav system malfunctioning.

It would be nice if someone could get the JDM/AU part numbers so that maybe we could order some things.

Thoughts?

Old 12-17-2006 | 05:45 PM
Default RE: 07 Outlander

ORIGINAL: blackb13

So, just some quick things that I've been looking into since my purchase.

1. We are getting shafted on a lot of accessories from MMC. Such as these: http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/...jsp?groupId=22

getting shafted? you're assuming theres anything there worth having! american taste is much different than austrailia. Most of those items are just cheesy chrome accesories. The big stuff is quite available for you to purchase at your local dealer.
actually, looking at the american website, it appears a lot of those things are available here, as well.

2. There are some options that we don't get compared to the JDM Outlander. Such as: backup camera, tv tuner, and heated/cooled upper glove box (you'll see the cutout for the fan if you look).
most of those are frivolous items, deleted to keep it cost effective.

3. The DVD/AUX functions only shut down while driving above 5mph. I am 99.9% sure that the only thing that needs to be bypassed is the VSS wire. My only fear is that the unit might use the satellite's to determine whether or not the vehicle is actually moving. That could pose a different problem.
you cant eliminate the VSS. its over the CAN BUS anyway, as nearly every system needs it.
basically, you need to deal with the fact that lawyers make the rules on things like that. Besides, you shouldnt be watching DVDs whilst your driving.

4. There is some kind of sporadic noise from the front end. I'm not sure if it's a clunk.
already spoken about a few times here... look at the other posts

5. I'm going to look into turning on the foglights while the headlights are on.
also spoken about. If you have the HID's, your foglights are not foglights; they're DRLs.

6. There are at least 3 TSB's on the Outlander. I can't find out what they are though. I know for sure that one is for the Nav system malfunctioning.
its for a distance driven being innacurate after refueling, and button illumination. Both only happen under a rare set of circumstances. Most owners will never experience the issue.
otherwise, the TSBs are nothing more than basic information (theres a new special trans fluid that needs to be uses, there are incorrect locations in the service manual for the badging on the car, etc.etc.). Nothing of any importance.

Old 12-18-2006 | 01:25 AM

Who the hell would pay for a heated/cooled upper glove box. I know Dodge put it in the Caliber, but to me, it's the dumbest option. Just my .02

Old 12-18-2006 | 03:59 AM
|

ORIGINAL: Manybrews

getting shafted? you're assuming theres anything there worth having! american taste is much different than austrailia. Most of those items are just cheesy chrome accesories. The big stuff is quite available for you to purchase at your local dealer.
actually, looking at the american website, it appears a lot of those things are available here, as well.
Yes, I think there are 10+ accessories that are "worth having." Why doesn't MMNA sell any of the Thule accessories? What about the rear cargo secure area? That would be nice for dog owners. I do agree that some of the accessories are tacky, but that's for the consumer to decide...not MMNA.

most of those are frivolous items, deleted to keep it cost effective.
Backup camera is frivolous? I don't think so. Heated/cooled glove box, yes. I was just stating the differences. Why can't MMNAhave the camera as a dealer installed option? Hopefully it will be. If my dealer (parts department)had a half a brain, maybe he could find a part number and get it specialordered. I order JDM parts for my Nissan all the time. I'm not getting the same cooperation since joining the DSM camp.

you cant eliminate the VSS. its over the CAN BUS anyway, as nearly every system needs it.
basically, you need to deal with the fact that lawyers make the rules on things like that. Besides, you shouldnt be watching DVDs whilst your driving.
Thanks Dad! Oh wait... I don't watch the DVD while driving, it's for when I have 3 other people in the car. And if MMNA's primary concern was safety, they would've blocked you from inputting addresses in the nav systemwhile driving. Give me a break.
It's good to know that it's over the can bus and not integrated into the software. Hopefully an aftermarket manufacturer will create an adapter.

also spoken about. If you have the HID's, your foglights are not foglights; they're DRLs.
So I've read. I want the option of turning them off period. I don't have a need for DRL's. I'll look into the other turnsignal lever that has the integrated foglightswitch. It's probably a direct swap. If not, then I'm pulling the relay/fuse. If/when Ifigure out the bypass, I'll post it here.

its for a distance driven being innacurate after refueling, and button illumination. Both only happen under a rare set of circumstances. Most owners will never experience the issue.
otherwise, the TSBs are nothing more than basic information (theres a new special trans fluid that needs to be uses, there are incorrect locations in the service manual for the badging on the car, etc.etc.). Nothing of any importance.
Sounds like you are aservice tech for MMNA. That's good to know for future reference and help. I appreciate the response(s).

On a side note-
It looks like the supercharger kit from the Evolander Concept will be available from RRE sometime Q1. It should be priced around $4500.

Old 12-18-2006 | 02:46 PM

but DRL lower insurance costs!

Old 12-18-2006 | 06:00 PM
JMC

Ok.....first of all, if you know somebody at an Audio shop who know anything about wires then you'll be all set. I just had my shizz re-wired so I can watch DVD's while driving. Some of those accessories would be great to have..but cost way too much through the dealer. I found most of them on EBay and the cost is at least half. I'm most pissed about the lack of an iPod hook up. I really don't care how much the Hardrive hold..I still want my iPod. I'm having an iPod cable put in this weekend..I'll let you know how that works out.

Old 12-18-2006 | 07:08 PM

ORIGINAL: blackb13

Yes, I think there are 10+ accessories that are "worth having." Why doesn't MMNA sell any of the Thule accessories? What about the rear cargo secure area? That would be nice for dog owners. I do agree that some of the accessories are tacky, but that's for the consumer to decide...not MMNA.
trust me, if they thought they would sell (or were cost effective), they would sell them. Most have probably been tried here with abysmal failure in the past.

Backup camera is frivolous? I don't think so. Heated/cooled glove box, yes. I was just stating the differences. Why can't MMNAhave the camera as a dealer installed option? Hopefully it will be. If my dealer (parts department)had a half a brain, maybe he could find a part number and get it specialordered. I order JDM parts for my Nissan all the time. I'm not getting the same cooperation since joining the DSM camp.
totally frivolous. Im assuming you have been able to turn your head and drive cars in the past without a back up camera .....

Thanks Dad! Oh wait... I don't watch the DVD while driving, it's for when I have 3 other people in the car. And if MMNA's primary concern was safety, they would've blocked you from inputting addresses in the nav systemwhile driving. Give me a break.
It's good to know that it's over the can bus and not integrated into the software. Hopefully an aftermarket manufacturer will create an adapter.
hey, IM not the lawyer here. Have you dealt with any other manufacturers nav systems before? Some are far, FAR more limited when moving. And if you have the entertainment system, the rear screen does not stop working; Only the front does.
As far as the CAN BUS is concerned, its very nature is 99 percent software.

So I've read. I want the option of turning them off period. I don't have a need for DRL's. I'll look into the other turnsignal lever that has the integrated foglightswitch. It's probably a direct swap. If not, then I'm pulling the relay/fuse. If/when Ifigure out the bypass, I'll post it here.
Ive never figured out why people are so inclined on shutting them off... they DO work to prevent accidents.
at any rate, you can shut them off by turning on your normal headlights, but Im guessing that would be trading 6 of one for half a dozen of the other.

Sounds like you are aservice tech for MMNA. That's good to know for future reference and help. I appreciate the response(s).
15 years.
On a side note-
It looks like the supercharger kit from the Evolander Concept will be available from RRE sometime Q1. It should be priced around $4500.
I would be doing a disservice if I didnt mention that something like that will totally crush your 100K warranty.
[/quote]

Old 12-18-2006 | 09:36 PM
|

Just pulled the factory radio. Very easy to remove. Pull out vents on either side (no tools needed), remove 2 screws securing bezel around radio, pull bezel out, remove 4 screws securing the factory radio. Probably took me 12 minutes with extra caution.

Couple of things I noticed:
Factory BT module is directly under radio behind climate controls
Sirius satellite tuner is directly behind the glovebox
Rockford Fosgate amp is located under passenger seat
Temporarily bypassing the VSS should be a no brainer once/if I can get a system diagram. Or I'll have to use my trusty DMM and a lot of labor.
There is a module bolted directly under the factory radio. I'm not sure what it is. It could be for the a/v inputs. I'll need to see a FSM to be certain.

Manybrews - Next time you're at work, can you pull the FSM and see if you can print/scan a copy of the wiring diagram for the back of the factory radio? In addition, if you could find out what the module is that is located directly under the radio.

trust me, if they thought they would sell (or were cost effective), they would sell them. Most have probably been tried here with abysmal failure in the past.
Two things here: 1.) Based on MMC's prior financial's I don't trust anyone (yet). 2.) All of the Outlander accessories have to be special ordered anyways. Why not make it the consumer's choice on what we want? The stuff is clearly available in other areas, why not have it available in the US? I guess I'll have to resort to purchasing accessories on Ebay Australia.

DRL bypassing
I really would leave them alone, but they don't even shut off when I'm parked. That's the biggest annoyance. I am forced to shut off the car if I want those lights off. They should really shut off while you're in park.

Old 12-18-2006 | 09:42 PM
JMC

I'm sure 3rd party accessories would be just as good..and a lot cheaper!

Old 12-19-2006 | 05:41 PM

The front end noise maybe the front hub assy. and knuckle. I heard form our DPSM they had a problem with a few of them. Have your dealer check it out.

Quick Reply: 07 Outlander