Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

09 outlander es 4 cyl eating gas? Help...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Default 09 outlander es 4 cyl eating gas? Help...

Hi guys, im just new here in the forum... Itis good to have and belong in this group.

I just bought a 2009 mitsubishi outlander es 2.4 4 cylinder, i measured the gas mileage by calculating the kms it ran dvided by the liters consumed by half tank, i end up with 6.3kms/liter. Computer gauges says my average is 8-10kms/lit, which is absolutely not. There are times when the gauge will suddenly drop (1/4 remaining past the half mark, then drop to half level) even if I jus travelled like around 3-4kms only.I don't have a heavy foot when driving, no sudden braking and the engine seems to run smooth... I can say my driving skills are good enough to get good gas mileage. Just did an oil change, new air filters & new tires.

I believe other 2009 outlander 2.4 4 cyl owner are enjoying more mileage. One of the reason why i chose this car is for better gas mileage. Am I missing on something, so it will be more fuel efficient? Your suggestion will teuly be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:35 AM

try calculating your consumption by filling up your tank and using your odometer. If your fuel level was fluctuating drastically I'd wonder about the sending unit.

Your new tires may be why you are experiencing high consumption. What kind of tires did you get? I once when from the OEM Geolander tires, which are passenger rated tires, to light truck tires. That changed my fuel consumption from 28MPG down to 24.5MPG on the interstate highway. I've got LRR passenger tires back on and my mileage is now back up in the 26-27 range.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:23 PM

Thank you for the response, computed the consumption using the odometer and the amount I filled up in my tank... And it's 6.5km/liter (around 15mpg).

One more thing I noticed is that my on my fuel gauge, upon arriving home before I turn off the engine I will note the tank level on the half level, and next day in the morning once i start the car the fuel level is lower than the level the night before when I turned it off. There was even one instance while driving around 50kms, i smelled fuel fumes coming from the a/c. Checked the fuel lines, no leaks though.
You mean the fuel sending unit should be replaced?

Another is that, I notice especially on highway driving it seems to have a hard time catching up with the speed especially from an exit entering the highway and i end up stepping more on the pedal but still not enough power. Or is just really that underpowered? Passenger is just me and my wife.

When I got the car this september, as part of our deal, he would place new tires. So i got it with a brand new all season tires (fuzion brand). Not sure if its light truck rated tires,looks a bit bigger though.

Thank you for responding and guiding me through this. hopefully I get to figure this out. I would really love to keep if for a long time, it's just the fuel cost that's killing me.

Last edited by Enzo; 11-05-2013 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 12-15-2013, 07:34 PM

my new outlander is burning around 70% more gas than stated by Mitsubishi, their numbers are very misleading.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:00 PM

i have a big motorbike.