Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

11' Outlander GT shfting issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by milliesdad
If you have the paddle shift, try that for a while. You can control when the trans shifts.
Lol my man, I didn't buy a GT to get all the sporty features to not use them. I don't have THAT much money :P I love the paddle shifters. Why would I drive on back roads in automatic?! That'd be disgraceful, hehe.

But even with the paddle shifters it does this. There has been instances where I havent even shifted, I'll be going up a steady incline, at say, 3-3500rpm's, and then all the sudden, randomly, the car will just drop down slowly to 3000, 2900, 2800... as if its bogging down, even though the grade hasn't changed. Like I said, its almost like a CVT shifting, but its a 6 gear transmission. I can't tell whats doing it, but I must say reconnecting the battery reduced that happening quite a bit. But it still does do it occasionally.

Now, I know this may be a stupid question, but just clicking the paddle shifters on while the gear selector is still in drive puts it in sport, right? Or is the only way to get it into sport is to slide the gear selector over into manual? Because I have noticed you cant start out in 2n'd gear when you have the gear selector in D and the paddle shifters on, and once you stop it goes into drive. Is this just in regular mode allowing you to shift? Do I need to slide the gear selector over to get it in sport mode, or can I keep it on D and turn it on with the paddle shifters keeping it in D to enable sport mode?

I'm sorry if I'm sounding like a complete noobie, now that you guys are telling me all this I'm rethinking what I know. Just making sure. But hell yeah, I use the paddle shifters 90% of the time, but it still does these odd RPM drops after shifts, or sometimes even randomly. But when I use the paddle shifters I just click them on from the wheel, but keep the shifter on D. Do I need to slide it over to enable sport?

Thanks so much guys!

Old 10-28-2012, 03:09 PM

Yeah you need it in manual mode to have full control of the rpm. Shifting in D is only good for downshifting from my limited experience! It's almost an ECO mode!