Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2007 - 2.4 Rescue

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 07:12 AM
Default 2007 - 2.4 Rescue

Hi all,

So I managed to pick an abused 2.4 2008 model on a 57 plate from auction a little while ago and have been bringing it back to health.

It had been sat for months on the auction lot beside an estuary. The brakes were listed as an advisory on the last 3 years MOT and the calipers were sticking on. I had to stop 5-6 times on the journey home and go no faster than 30mph to stop them cooking.

I've rebuilt both front calipers since then and have all service parts/fluids either fitted or ready to go.

To say that all tyres were bald as f##k is an understatement. Replaced.

The NAV unit is missing the ENT hat switch and the open/set buttons for goodness sake! Try getting these buttons from a breakers when they have a head unit they could sell complete for £300!! I have a custom ENT switch on the way from digikey.

Can somebody please help me with the following...

Behind the auto gearstick is what I believe to be a red light... Only the previous cretin ripped it out and now all I have is a hole and the wiring. Is this a red LED to highlight whether the gearbox is in park or reverse or just permanently on to light up the cubby hole? I am looking at getting some custom lights, if it is the parking brake I will get a dash light parking brake Led and flush mount it. If not, just a flush mount red LED.

Also, if anybody has part numbers... I'm looking to get the top glovebox compartment lid... The car is UK/Jap spec so I guess they'll be different part numbers as the glovebox is in the left.

I'll get some pictures of the state it was in. I fear the head gasket might be an issue too, it has docs stating it was previously skimmed and a lot of mayo in the cap. No fluid loss and I haven't driven it up to speed yet to test under a lot of load, but it's fine up to 50mph now the brakes are fixed. The mayo could just be a condensation build up from sitting so long though.

I've looked and there are a few other heads that fit this block just fine, the head looks amazingly simple to access in this thing too so I'm not overly fussed about it.

Introduction...Jon from Wales. Thanks for reading folks.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by OutlanderMcOutlanderFace
Hi all,

So I managed to pick an abused 2.4 2008 model on a 57 plate from auction a little while ago and have been bringing it back to health.

It had been sat for months on the auction lot beside an estuary. The brakes were listed as an advisory on the last 3 years MOT and the calipers were sticking on. I had to stop 5-6 times on the journey home and go no faster than 30mph to stop them cooking.

I've rebuilt both front calipers since then and have all service parts/fluids either fitted or ready to go.

To say that all tyres were bald as f##k is an understatement. Replaced.

The NAV unit is missing the ENT hat switch and the open/set buttons for goodness sake! Try getting these buttons from a breakers when they have a head unit they could sell complete for £300!! I have a custom ENT switch on the way from digikey.

Can somebody please help me with the following...

Behind the auto gearstick is what I believe to be a red light... Only the previous cretin ripped it out and now all I have is a hole and the wiring. Is this a red LED to highlight whether the gearbox is in park or reverse or just permanently on to light up the cubby hole? I am looking at getting some custom lights, if it is the parking brake I will get a dash light parking brake Led and flush mount it. If not, just a flush mount red LED.

Also, if anybody has part numbers... I'm looking to get the top glovebox compartment lid... The car is UK/Jap spec so I guess they'll be different part numbers as the glovebox is in the left.

I'll get some pictures of the state it was in. I fear the head gasket might be an issue too, it has docs stating it was previously skimmed and a lot of mayo in the cap. No fluid loss and I haven't driven it up to speed yet to test under a lot of load, but it's fine up to 50mph now the brakes are fixed. The mayo could just be a condensation build up from sitting so long though.

I've looked and there are a few other heads that fit this block just fine, the head looks amazingly simple to access in this thing too so I'm not overly fussed about it.

Introduction...Jon from Wales. Thanks for reading folks.
Does anybody know what purpose that LED has behind the gearstick?

Old 08-07-2017, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by OutlanderMcOutlanderFace
Does anybody know what purpose that LED has behind the gearstick?
I believe it is just an accent light to dimly illuminate the cubby hole.