Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2007 Outlander Service Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Default 2007 Outlander Service Questions

This is my 1st Outlander and extremely happy this truck! I took the truck in to the dealer and the dealer said I needed some maintenance done.

Since this is my first Outlander and I know nothing about Outlander's in general. I wanted some advice on whether I really needed the service work done and if I do need to get the work done at the dealer vs. my mechanic. I also wanted to know what I'm being quoted by the dealer is reasonable.

The Truck has just over 57,000 miles on it.

Fuel Injector Service - $139.95
Transmission Service - $139.95
Brake Fluid Flush - $109.95
Power Steering Flush - $109.95
Front & Rear Differential - $109.95

Thanks!

Old 11-22-2011, 04:59 PM

Before paying for fuel injector service I would just put in a bottle of Chevron Techron. If the vehicle is not running rough or giving you problems starting you shouldn't need the fuel injector service.

Just my opinion but assuming the transmission service, brake fluid, and power steering fluid haven't been done prior, it's a good idea to get them done now, but you probably can get it done for less at a competent independent repair shop. One word of advice don't go to jiffy lube or any of the other quick lube places for this.

As far as the differential service I have a 2WD Outlander so I can't comment on this service, but maybe one of the members on this board who have AWD can.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by shizah

Welcome shizah.
I'm not that far along yet on my 2009 but here is the periods of service I plan to keep.
  • Flush transmission fluid every 2-years/30,000-miles.
  • Front transfer case and Rear differential at the same time.
  • Power steering the general rule of thumb is to flush it when you flush your coolant but it wouldn't hurt to suck some fluid out of the reservoir and add new fluid to freshen it up.
  • Brake fluid is probably every 2 years or when the brakes are replaced - I'm expecting mine to last 50k miles or more, yet to change them. The fluid draws in moisture over time and degrades with the heat generated by braking.
If your not sure what's been done to the vehicle - it rarely hurts to change the fluids. The problem mentioned by azjake can be stripped drain/fill plugs at quick lubes and incorrect fluid used in the transmission.

Only use the specified Dia Queen J2 - I've been looking for a multi-ATF fluid and haven't been able to find one yet as there isn't a lot of information on the OEM fluid.

If your interested in AMSOIL fluids send me a PM and I can get you started.
http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehic...HI+OUTLANDER+X

Old 11-25-2011, 01:56 PM

My 07 has 74000 miles. Fuel injector service is not really needed at this point...unless you have symptoms like rough idle and acceleration issues. As mentioned by others here, you can use chevron or other products. I used seafoam.

What I always do on regular basis though is flush the fluids. I flush the tranny every 35K (not 4wd). Flush the radiator every 25K as well as the powersteering fluid. I will be flushing the brake fluid at 75k. So the fluid recommendations seems ok to me with your mileage.

Note that this is not the factory sched but mine. The car feels happier when the i perform these procedures a bit earlier than the recommended. Good luck

Last edited by alim; 11-25-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:51 AM

Injector service -Sea Foam in gas tank.

Trans flush- check the specification for Trans oil. Independent would probably be less.

Brake fluid flush- had it done at local Independent on my Grand Prix (2002)for $40.00.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:55 PM

Fuel Injector Service - $139.95 ==> Garbage! go to autoparts store and put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in there.

Transmission Service - $139.95 ==> I have mine done every 45k miles. you didn't give specs on year, engine, or tranny type, but if you go to independent shop, watch them like a hawk that they put the appropriate fluid in there. it is in your owners manual. this is the only service I have done at the dealership.

Brake Fluid Flush - $109.95 ==> do that at independent shop...nothing special about DOT3/4 fluid.

Power Steering Flush - $109.95 ==> do at independent shop if cheaper...I've had one dealership tell me use regular power steering fluid...another said to use regular SPIII ATF. I used power steering fluid...no problems yet.

Front & Rear Differential - $109.95 ==> another independent shop...I put in synthetic 75w90 oil. Since you mentioned the rear diff, don't forget about your transfer case...that will need to be changed as well...same fluid.

Originally Posted by shizah
This is my 1st Outlander and extremely happy this truck! I took the truck in to the dealer and the dealer said I needed some maintenance done.

Since this is my first Outlander and I know nothing about Outlander's in general. I wanted some advice on whether I really needed the service work done and if I do need to get the work done at the dealer vs. my mechanic. I also wanted to know what I'm being quoted by the dealer is reasonable.

Thanks!

Old 11-29-2011, 03:41 PM

I appreciate everyone's feedback! My Outlander is a 2007 XLS V6 3.0L that has automatic transmission.

Based on what azjake and nesser comments on the fluids and since I don't know if they were done previously, I'll get the transmission service, brake fluid, and power steering fluids done.

ccernst - thanks or the advice on the fuel injectors....I'll go ahead and do that. I'm thinking that I'll do the transmission at the dealership. Based on your advice and looking at other threads on the forum, this can be a dicey situation going to an independent shop. Also, I did not know about the transfer case, thanks for the tip!

All the other work, I'll call around to some independent shops to see what they charge.

Thanks!

Old 02-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Default I have a delay....

I LOVE my Outlander but I was wondering if anyone else has a delay in the acceleration pedal. I hit the pedal and it finally goes when I am about half way in the pedal. I am not a lead foot but I also do not like to be left in the dust from a light. I don't know if the delay is normal but it has done it since I bought it used in 2010. It is an 07. And I was also wondering if the newer models have the tailgate like my 07, that is my fav. feature of this vehicle!!

Old 02-07-2012, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Outlanderfanatic
I LOVE my Outlander but I was wondering if anyone else has a delay in the acceleration pedal. I hit the pedal and it finally goes when I am about half way in the pedal. I am not a lead foot but I also do not like to be left in the dust from a light. I don't know if the delay is normal but it has done it since I bought it used in 2010. It is an 07. And I was also wondering if the newer models have the tailgate like my 07, that is my fav. feature of this vehicle!!
Yes they all have it Mitsu's way of getting the fuel economy.
Read this thread https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...olution-39348/
I installed it and love the change it made to the car response.
An other solution is to modify the system to use the Ds (sport) from the Japanese market but this one not only change the throttle response by also the transmission shift point holding the lower gear longer thus costing you more fuel --> Second Generation Outlander Add Sport Mode - Mitsubishi Wiki
In this video the guy has put a dual ON switch under his 4WD selector to initialize the change from D to Ds it's not present but could be fitted if you are good with electronic option 1 is easy but permanent unless you rid a switch to go back and forth
Citroen C-Crosser , Outlander XL Sport Mode Ds - YouTube

This is why I installed the I-throttle

Attached Thumbnails 2007 Outlander Service Questions-ds.jpg  

Last edited by Claude_A; 02-07-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:23 PM

I wanted to give a quick update and let everyone know that I got the services done. The only thing I did at the dealer was the transmission flush.

Everything else I did at an independent mechanic's shop. It was 50% cheaper than the dealer. Only thing left is the fuel injector cleaner that I'll pick up from an auto parts store.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Quick Reply: 2007 Outlander Service Questions