Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2007 Outlander Wont Come Out Of Park

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 04:37 AM
Default 2007 Outlander Wont Come Out Of Park

In the last few weeks my Auto Outlander will not come out of "Park". It has happened 3 times so far but the last time was a mongrel! The first two times I turned the car on then off a few times and the first time this did the trick but the second time it only allowed me to move the lever out of park once I had moved the 2WD selector to 4WD then back to 2WD. Well tonight the thing wouldnt come out of park so I called the Mitsubishi care line for help and they sent someone out to the car. He was dumb founded. He looked under the bonnet etc and he couldnt get it to work. Eventually he held the shift lock button in with his right hand finger and moved the auto lever with his left hand and it moved out of park. He tried to tell me that it was the weight placed on the transmission when you put it into park and take you foot off the brake and it rolls back a little. This weight doesnt allow the transmssion to come out of park. Bulls *****!!! I have been parking in my driveway for over 12 months and I have never had this problem and the other 2 places it did it was flat ground. I said this to him and he put pressure on the tranny and he couldnt get it to do it again. It easily slipped out of park time and time again. This is very frustrating and now I have to get it to the Mitsubishi centre to get it seen too. I just thought I would let you all know what happened to me so you have a starting point if it happens to you.
mulder (Australia)
PS Yes I had my foot on the brake etc. I have been driving it for 12 months and the service guy had his foot on the brake etc

Old 06-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Default RE: 2007 Outlander Wont Come Out Of Park

I figure there's a solenoid actuator that releases the shift lever once you press the brake pedal. You can normally feel and hear it click when you do. I suppose there might be some wiring issue like loose connections or an ECU malfunction. I would study wire diagram and trace the powerto the solenoid. Or better yet, since it all is under warranty, they can simply start replacing parts till it gets fixed. Solenoid would be a good start.
Hope it helps a bit.
Keep us posted.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:43 AM

I have to work the next two days so Im telling them the car is coming in on Wednesday. Ill keep you posted.
mulder

Old 06-29-2008, 11:48 PM

Right, Took the Outlander into the dealer last friday and they said they have fixed it. No problems since then. I asked what the problem was and they said that Mitsubishi had known about the problem and were fixing it only when a customer requests it. Apparently there is aa bad batch of micro switches that are situated in the centre console, These switches arc together when they make and break contact all the time and eventualy they stick together due to the micro sparks welding the contacts shut.
I seen the hand out from Mitsu which shows detailed diagrams of were things are and how to remove them. The said that they dont know which cars they went into so were only fixing if requested and no recall was planned.
So if your stuck in park and it wont come out just hold the shift lock button in and then move the gear selector.
Mulder

Old 06-30-2008, 12:35 PM

thanks for the heads up!

ORIGINAL: mulder

Right, Took the Outlander into the dealer last friday and they said they have fixed it. No problems since then. I asked what the problem was and they said that Mitsubishi had known about the problem and were fixing it only when a customer requests it. Apparently there is aa bad batch of micro switches that are situated in the centre console, These switches arc together when they make and break contact all the time and eventualy they stick together due to the micro sparks welding the contacts shut.
I seen the hand out from Mitsu which shows detailed diagrams of were things are and how to remove them. The said that they dont know which cars they went into so were only fixing if requested and no recall was planned.
So if your stuck in park and it wont come out just hold the shift lock button in and then move the gear selector.
Mulder

Old 06-30-2008, 02:00 PM

Thanks for the info!!! =)

Old 11-12-2011, 03:56 AM
hex

the brake lamp switch is wired to the gear selector. if the switch doesn't work (no rear brake light) the gear selector will not engauge. you can physically force the gear selector out of park, however, YOUR REAR BRAKE LIGHTS WILL NOT WORK.

Mits had a recall on this very problem. search for your make/model of car to read about it. Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Old 11-16-2011, 10:21 AM

I had a the same issue , you have too remove housing and on the right side of the **** ther is small contactor that You have to remove and fold back small bladge then put the contactor back that shuld fix the problem.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:44 PM

^^^
the real fix though is to fix the brake light actuator on the brake pedal.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by konop
I had a the same issue , you have too remove housing and on the right side of the **** ther is small contactor that You have to remove and fold back small bladge then put the contactor back that shuld fix the problem.
In my case that was the problem.

Quick Reply: 2007 Outlander Wont Come Out Of Park