Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2007 XLS 2wd .. alignment need additional parts to "correct" the off range?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Angry 2007 XLS 2wd .. alignment need additional parts to "correct" the off range?

I went to a national chain tire shop for 4 wheel aligenmnet. the service personnel just inform me that my outtie need an "aftermarket part" to correct the offset of the front drive-side alignment and it cost $140 for the parts. He said the Mitsi. does not have the part and the offset will make the tire wear off more (inside).
Does anyone heard this or know anything about the potential alignment issue with 2nd generation outtie?

Old 01-15-2010, 12:01 PM

All I can tell you is I have an 08 ES 2WD (13,000 miles) that has no alignment problems. No unusual tire wear and no pulling to one side or another. I know 13,000 is not a lot of miles, but if my Outlander had an inherent problem with alignment I would know it by now.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:13 PM

Thank you, azjake ... i find out the shop

Old 01-15-2010, 01:26 PM

is the the alignment or the camber that's off? I think the camber seems pretty aggressive and contributed to eating my OEM tires at 26K miles.

If it's the alignment..i'd be curious if there was some kind of damage if it needs parts to correct

Old 01-15-2010, 01:38 PM

if it is the camber that's off, here's what you need for 25 bucks:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/IEC-81260/

Rock Auto has alignment kits depending on how much it needs adjusting:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=7448

Granted this is for my LS AWD, but should be the same...you can adjust the filters to make sure.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by cybergoogle
I went to a national chain tire shop for 4 wheel aligenmnet. the service personnel just inform me that my outtie need an "aftermarket part" to correct the offset of the front drive-side alignment and it cost $140 for the parts. He said the Mitsi. does not have the part and the offset will make the tire wear off more (inside).
Does anyone heard this or know anything about the potential alignment issue with 2nd generation outtie?
Typical TiresPlus upsell BS.

They did it to me once before years ago when I took my RX300 there.

I never go there anymore because every time they find some non-existent issue that needs to be fixed.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Default got my ottie back and here is the "report"

the tireshop was asking about the Camer Kit for Front Axle.
the part is $85 + labor is $30 = $150.00
the adviser said:" we can not get your alignment to adjust to the manufacture recommand becasue the original camber does not allow the adjust which need to meet the recommandation setting from manufacture." But something interesting ... when I put the new set of tires about 1.5 yr ago, the another shop did alignment after the new tires were put on and they never ask about this camber kit. Also, i went back for balance / rotation and have them check the alignment, the shop which installed the tire for me did not mention anything about the camber kit. strange ....

Old 01-17-2010, 11:25 PM

i had a ¨problem¨ with camber till i went to alignment shop who knew what he was actually doing.
go to another alignment shop.

Last edited by Tasman; 01-20-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by cybergoogle
the tireshop was asking about the camer kit for front axle.
The part is $85 + labor is $30 = $150.00 that's $115.00
the adviser said:" we can not get your alignment to adjust to the manufacture recommand becasue the original camber does not allow the adjust which need to meet the recommandation setting from manufacture." but something interesting ... When i put the new set of tires about 1.5 yr ago, the another shop did alignment after the new tires were put on and they never ask about this camber kit. Also, i went back for balance / rotation and have them check the alignment, the shop which installed the tire for me did not mention anything about the camber kit. Strange ....

Old 01-31-2010, 12:13 AM

Have had a similar issue going on with the alignment of my 07 XLS awd model. I noticed a hard pull develop within a few days of purchasing. It took 3 different visits in those first months to correct the problem...but now I am wondering what they actually did to fix it. The service tech at the time mentioned a number of their new Outlanders had some kind of frame issue (?) causing the alignment problem. I know they had to do some extensive work to fix mine at the time. I think some of the issues in this thread are sim to what is going on: https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ight=alignment

It still feels like there may be some minor alignment pull going on, but the real problem is the crappy OE tires in combination with this alignment issue has caused my tire wear be at the bars in less than 22k miles! Have a visit scheduled with the dealer on Monday...see how it goes.

Update 2/3/10: Goodyear will pro-rate the wear on the tires toward the purchase of another pair of Goodyear tires. Getting the Triple Tread series (good traction and hopefully good wear...if not, now I have a solid warranty).

Last edited by jisher; 02-03-2010 at 12:03 PM.