Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

New Outlander 2007 XLS 2WD

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 01:15 PM
Default New Outlander 2007 XLS 2WD

Just picked up a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS, loaded... black with creme leather interior... so far I have very few complaints and mostly questions. regarding the reviews I've read about interior fit/finish quality lacking... they are wrong... the interior is awesome.

I have the navigation option with the MusicServer and I've loaded up some CDs (there is nothing in the manual about how to do this)... basically when you insert a CD it starts copying it to the internal HDD (can't wait for instructions to start showing up on how to upgrade it from the current 30GB size). I'm not sure how many CDs it will hold or what type of compression/codec is used so I'm not sure if this is a lot better than just having a CD changer... but it sure has some geek appeal, especially when it knows the album, track list, etc... not sure if it's downloading it or popular discs are already loaded into an internal database. For anyone considering a purchase, here are my Pros and Cons:

Cons

Second row seating not the most comfortable (according to my girlfriend)
No documentation on music server features
Sirius satellite instead of XM

Pros
Virtually everything else
Bluetooth phone integration works well, not all that difficult to setup (as opposed to some reviews which said it was)
Navigation integrates nicely (go to nearest Point of Interest, ie, restaurant, gas station, etc. is awesome but its my first in-car GPS also so they might all work the same)
Value, value, value...

In-between
Suspension is 'tight'... you'll hear and feel the road... I like this, but some may not... it's not a squishy ride.
Keyless entry FAST system... takes some getting used to... I'm waiting to lock myself out with the car running....

My brother who is a car aficianado compares this favorably to the BMW X3 and says that it is superior especially when considering all the features...

All-in-all Highly Recommended

Cliff

-----

Edited review to remove complaints about wind noise... after driving nearly 1000 highway miles I don't know what I was talking about... it must've been a windy day when I wrote the first version of the review.

Old 11-15-2006, 02:33 PM
Default RE: New Outlander 2007 XLS 2WD

Great post! We too, recently picked up an '07 Outlander XLS, though ours is the 4WD model. We really love the ride and handling. At first we found the ride a bit too rough. After checking the (cold) tire pressure, we found that all 4 tires were inflated to 42psi. This is 10psi over what the sticker on the door jam recommends. We decided to compromise and reduced the pressure to 36psi. It has helped smooth out the ride a bit without negatively effecting the gas mileage.

Regarding the MusicServer. The system will store up to 1200 songs on the hard drive. It essentially functions like a built-in iPod. I haven't had much time to review the manual, but I'm sure I saw something about it in there. A review I read the other day said that you can also go through and edit/delete certain c.d.'s/songs from the memory. The NAV system is great. The graphics aren't quite as good as Honda/Acura, but it's much more up to date in terms of roads than my '06 Pilot and it responds with less delay to commands.

As far as wind noise, I haven't really noticed anything significant. It seems only a bit more pronounced than our Pilot. On the plus side, the Outlander has bit less road noise on broken pavement than our Pilot.

As for your impressions on the interior, I agree. The fit and finish are great and all the materials have a rich, low sheen appearance. The leather is really nice, but I'm wondering how well it will age since it's so soft. I hope it doesn't develop a super shiney patina like some older Lexus and GM vehicles I've seen. In fact, our only complaints with the interior are the somewhat cheap looking door panels, which should have more leather/padding and be 2-toned like the dash, and the lack of homelink.

Overall, we could not be happier. For the money, the features on this vehicle are very impressive. It puts our Pilot to shame in terms of feature content for the money. Mitsubishi did a very good job on this vehicle IMHO. I only hope this level of refinement and attention to detail carries over into future models.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:12 PM

My wife and I test drove one the other day and we love it. I already have an 06 Raider XLS, that I absolutly love. We are looking at several different SUV's and will buy one after the 1st of the year.

I was told that with the FAST key system the car would not let you lock the keys in it, but I did not try it.

Old 11-15-2006, 11:49 PM

chelsel & jwaters943,

If you guys dont mind me asking, how much did you guys end up paying drive out for fully loaded '07 Outlanders? Did you guys trade-in? I am looking to trade in my current car and get an Outlander with HIDs and Navigation, any advice?

Old 11-16-2006, 04:00 PM

We traded in a 2002 Honda Civic EX Coupe. They gave us $10k for it. We looked it up the KBB Trade-in values and it was anywhere from $9800-11500 for the vehicle. We might have been able to get more for it, but we decided to accept the offer. Afterall, we only paid $16k for the vehicle when it was new 4.5 years ago.

As far as the price we paid, I don't have the paperwork in front of me, but it was a bit over $27k for our loaded XLS 4WD. The sticker (MSRP) was right around $30,500, so I think we did pretty well. Overall, the experience was very pleasurable and our dealership (Allison Mitsubish/Saab of Reno) really worked hard to earn our business. For those of you in California, I believe they have quite a few dealerships out there. If they are run anything like the dealership here, I would not hesitate to recommend them.

Old 11-17-2006, 04:26 PM

We have a loaded XLS that came out to 29K out the door (tags, taxes, etc.) and we had a $1500 trade-in (old 99 Cougar).

The sticker was 29,800 and we ended up getting it for 27,200. We were quite happy with the price we paid, though it helped that we REALLY wanted a white one and all they had was black

Old 11-18-2006, 10:44 AM

Sticker was 29250 and paid 26950 (supposedly 1K under dealer invoice)... trade was a 2006 Sentra for $10,500 (about right). I got the price by submitting a quote request on Mitsubishis website to multiple dealers... apparently the Internet sales department makes more money off volume than actual price... the salesman confirmed this as well and said that if you walk in off the street you're going to pay more...

Old 11-18-2006, 08:10 PM

jwaters943,
was it 27k with tt&l drive out? Thats REALLY good for a XLS 4WD. What add-on packages did you get?

Sunmoon,
is your XLS 2WD or 4WD? Which packages did you get on your car, luxury, navigation, sun and sound?

chelsel,
how much was the cost with tt&l? 26,950+______

Old 11-27-2006, 04:57 PM

Sall4real,

We literally had everything...

Luxury package, Navigation, Sun and Sound and it was also a 4WD. So we got out the door with everything possible + tags/tax = 29,050.

Good luck!