Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2008 Outtie Cigarette Lighter Plug not working...already checked fuse

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Default 2008 Outtie Cigarette Lighter Plug not working...already checked fuse

Hello All,

My 2008 Outlander XLS Cigarette lighter plug in the front console quit working while I was using it with a portable air compressor to top off my tires. I checked the fuse on the drivers side (in the dark) and it looked blown so I put another one in. It still doesn't work and I did check the new fuse. It is good.

Does anyone know if there is another fuse for it? I looked in the engine compartment and do not see one labeled for accessory or lighter or anything and checked all the 15 amp fuses anyways. Does anyone have any idea on what is wrong? The plug in the arm rest and the plug at the back still work but it is a major PITA to turn off or unplug my GPS now when I get out the vehicle.

My truck is still under warranty but I would hate to drive it 150 miles to fix a bad cigarette lighter plug. If someone can steer me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:20 PM

Have you checked fuse 13 and 19
13 is cigarette lighter
19 is Acc

Per my Owner manual page 7-45

Old 12-17-2013, 06:12 PM

In my 2008 outlander, both the cigarette lighter and the accessory outlet did not work. Fuse number 13 (middle right, inside vehicle) was okay but fuse number 19 was bad (bottom right, inside the vehicle). Replaced the 15 amp fuse number 19 and now everything works. Many Thanks!!!!

Old 05-27-2014, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by mahicks3322
Hello All,

My 2008 Outlander XLS Cigarette lighter plug in the front console quit working while I was using it with a portable air compressor to top off my tires. I checked the fuse on the drivers side (in the dark) and it looked blown so I put another one in. It still doesn't work and I did check the new fuse. It is good.

Does anyone know if there is another fuse for it? I looked in the engine compartment and do not see one labeled for accessory or lighter or anything and checked all the 15 amp fuses anyways. Does anyone have any idea on what is wrong? The plug in the arm rest and the plug at the back still work but it is a major PITA to turn off or unplug my GPS now when I get out the vehicle.

My truck is still under warranty but I would hate to drive it 150 miles to fix a bad cigarette lighter plug. If someone can steer me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.
Hi mahicks3322. I know this is on old thread but I had the exact same thing happen to my 2007 Outlander (air compressor caused cigarette lighter to fail but the fuse is fine). Were you able to find the cause of the problem? I would greatly appreciate any assistance. (I PM'd you also in case the thread was too old). TIA

Old 12-25-2015, 11:37 PM

I have a 2010 Outlander ES and had the same problems fuse ok. After working out how to remove the center console panel with the socket in it checked and found had power to the rear of the socket but not in the socket pin at all.
On removing the socket saw a small heavy gauge wire running from one insulated plate around to another and had no continuity there the wire on closer inspection was broken.

Some small pointed side cutters were used to pry open the crimps on the wire and it was replaced with similar gauge wire and recrimped and it all works fine again

Name:  Cigarette%20socket%20broken%20wire_zpsccoilrho.jpg
Views: 22077
Size:  141.4 KB

Last edited by rf253; 12-26-2015 at 06:00 AM. Reason: forgot the text
Old 07-18-2019, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by rf253
I have a 2010 Outlander ES and had the same problems fuse ok. After working out how to remove the center console panel with the socket in it checked and found had power to the rear of the socket but not in the socket pin at all.
On removing the socket saw a small heavy gauge wire running from one insulated plate around to another and had no continuity there the wire on closer inspection was broken.

Some small pointed side cutters were used to pry open the crimps on the wire and it was replaced with similar gauge wire and recrimped and it all works fine again

Attachment 5104
have the same problem ..
didn't find the lighter anywhere
how could i find that gauge wire ? the same wire with insulation ?

Old 11-03-2021, 01:14 AM
Default Same

I did exactly the same thing! Air compressor used & now it doesn't work. All fuses ok.