Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2009 Outie V6 transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Default 2009 Outie V6 transmission question

Hey all,

Couple of questions..

1. Those that seemed to experience hesitation when applying the gas, does it only happen when in "manual" mode and is it periodic? I have experienced some hesistation and then a pretty hard lurch forward only when in the manumatic mode and this has only happens once or twice a week....

2. Do you notice that it shifts pretty hard into 2nd when in the manu-matic mode? It's really bad upshifting and downshifting when cold, but even when it's warm, it's still a really hard shift. Any other gears, it doesn't do this....

Does anyone experience this? None of these really happen when in automatic mode...

ANy input would be great.

Thanks!

Old 02-18-2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by newoutlanderfan
1. Those that seemed to experience hesitation when applying the gas, does it only happen when in "manual" mode and is it periodic? I have experienced some hesistation and then a pretty hard lurch forward only when in the manumatic mode and this has only happens once or twice a week....

2. Do you notice that it shifts pretty hard into 2nd when in the manu-matic mode? It's really bad upshifting and downshifting when cold, but even when it's warm, it's still a really hard shift. Any other gears, it doesn't do this....

Does anyone experience this? None of these really happen when in automatic mode...
1. Yes, I experience hesitation and then a surge of power. I would assume the vehicle needs time to figure out what you are trying to do to handle clutching for you. Both in automatic and manual. I notice it in automatic when making a quick left turn. I really don't know what's going on there but if you aren't paying attention to your vehicle it could go unnoticed.

2. Cold shifts are brutal. Toronto has gotten down to a cold snap of -15C this winter while I've owned the outie. It is a huge jolt as the vehicle down shifts into second when coming to a stop while cold - even my girlfriend notices it. I will only to down shift into 3rd, then watch as the car down shifts itself into 2nd while braking to a stop. That is kind of a neat feature, down shift into 5th, then brake normally to a stop and watch the car shift. Obviously the vehicle can't stay in 5th at low speeds.

Once the vehicle warms up it is quite smooth as long as you don't shift from 3rd to 2nd above 3000 RPMS in 3rd. Try to let it fall below until you find the sweet spot for shifting since you can't control the clutch. I don't tend to manually shift up so I can't comment. I hold the right paddle to go into D if I don't come to a complete stop.

I still have my factory fill of fluids. That said I'm not convinced that break in additives or viscosities would cause such hard shifts while cold. I wouldn't expect a flush to change things significantly.

CN