Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Transmission noise in 2009 Outie

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 10:43 PM
Default Transmission noise in 2009 Outie

Hey all,

Just got my 2009 (3.0L) Outie and still learning its quirks. However, I have a pretty loud clunk when I shift (I don't have the paddle shifters). This happens either from Park to Reverse or Park to Drive or between reverse and drive.

ALso if I downshift from 2 to 1 in the "manual" mode (NOT the paddle shifters, but the normal shifter) I get a quite a clunk. Downshifting or upshifting between any other gears doesn't do this.

Is this something to worry about? I just have over 1000km on it.

Thanks!

Old 10-30-2009, 08:25 AM

Well, I know I have a clicking (I wouldn't call it clunking) sound whenever I press the brake pedal whenever transmission is in Park position, it is a known issue, dealership will tell you its normal but I don't know, anyway, here is my own link to similar issue:

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...271#post247271

Old 10-30-2009, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by blitzkrieg79
Well, I know I have a clicking (I wouldn't call it clunking) sound whenever I press the brake pedal whenever transmission is in Park position, it is a known issue, dealership will tell you its normal but I don't know, anyway, here is my own link to similar issue:

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...271#post247271

Hmm, I don't have that. BUt what I do have is a loud clunk. It sounds pretty bad but driveability seems fine. It really happens downshifting from 2nd to 1st (again, I don't have the paddle shifters).

Old 10-30-2009, 09:25 AM

Maybe it's the ABS selftest that happens when you start the engine and go either forward or reverse at 3+ mph. I don't know if that is only in the 2.4 with CVT though. Apparently it's normal, so if that is what your car is doing, you shouldn't worry.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by newoutlanderfan
Hmm, I don't have that. BUt what I do have is a loud clunk. It sounds pretty bad but driveability seems fine. It really happens downshifting from 2nd to 1st (again, I don't have the paddle shifters).
I have a 3.0L with the paddle shifters.
I do get a clunk noise when shifting from P. It doesn't overly concern me. Just seems like the vehicle getting into gear as a surge of power to the wheels accompanies it.

I park on a sloped driveway and when I set the car into park and pull the parking break there is still a bit of a roll downhill (forward in my case) which makes me think the vehicle is sitting on the parking pin or whatever causes it not to roll. I'm not sure how the vehicle stops rolling in park, but I always though that noise was that system disengaging.

I don't think the shifters should matter as it is just a signal to the computer using either method - Drive By Wire. I don't think there is any mechanical linkages in the paddles or sport mode on the shifter that would make noises like solenoids or anything like that.

I do downshift often while driving but do not have a clunk noise as I downshift.

I tend not to downshift from 2nd to 1st very often, but when I do it is usually while breaking is taking place at the same time. I let 2nd gear get below 1500 rpms or until 2nd bottoms out and the clutch kicks in to stop a stall - you'll see the rpms remain constant or go up when the clutch starts to disengage.

Earlier when I first got the vehicle and was getting used to it. If I tried to shift too early the vehicle would shake as the clutch engaged going into first - I don't think the tires chirped though as the transmission will double beep at you if you ask it to do things it knows it cannot handle.
There is no mechanical noise such as a clunk.

If you can reproduce it reliably have a mechanic go out with you for a test drive. I am definitly not a mechanic - just interested in vehicles with enough knowledge to get into trouble.

CN

Old 11-02-2009, 03:46 PM
EJH

I can feel a clunk/hesitation/vibration sometimes when the transmission downshifts from 2-1. I think it's normal and caused by downshifting a bit too early. Also if I'm slowing down enough to get it to downshift and hit the gas at the same time i feel a clunk/vibration because I caught it in a gear change and the electronic throttle is a little touchy. Noise/clunk from P, D, and R is normal unless you get a real jolt then could be a problem with a trans or engine mount.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:40 PM

The clicking sound when you press the brake pedal in P position is because you are unlocking the shifter so you can shift to reverse. It is just a safety issue. No worries.

Talking about the clunk and vibration, I also sense that. As i know that there is a little delay when you shift up or downshift even if I am using automatic instead of manual, different revolution speed of two gears can make that happen. By using 4WD-Lock, the problem seems to be alleviated. Sometimes I dunno why the car just downshift automatically to 1 while the gear itself remains at 2, and when I press the gas pedal it suddenly shift to gear 1 and had a big clunk and vibration.

Also when you accelerate, I did put gear 1 to 30mph once. I have to shift to gear 2 after a second not hitting the gas pedal. It decelerate pretty fast and has less clunk. Actually when you give the gear one second everytime when you shift from 1-2, or shift to gear 2 at 5-7 mph, the chance of having the clunk which will be lowered.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:14 AM

I have to retract my previous message. Now that the temperatures have dropped (-14C this morning) I get a clunk when the vehicle is still cold while down shifting.

The outlander automatically downshifts for me when I am breaking and the "clunk" and shudder is noticeable from 3 -> 2 which is at a slow speed of around 20km/h.

I'm hoping the transmission boxes have some kind of break in oil (I'm at 9000km) that is a bit thicker and the first service will put in a fluid that is more able to handle the complete range of temperatures.

Once the car warms up the clunking goes away so I try to take it easy when starting out with a cold vehicle.