Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2010 Outlander Camber adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 12:56 PM
Default 2010 Outlander Camber adjustment

I have 26,000 miles on my 2010 Outlander.
While ago I noticed that my tires are worn out more on the outside then inside. I checked alignment, and on the printout I noticed that CAMBER is out. Mechanic did not adjust camber claiming that it can not be adjusted.
I agree that there is no adjustment on front, so I did buy camber kit for front and adjust it myself.
On most cars there is an adjustment for rear tires, but I don't see any on my car. On my Nissan there is an adjustment bolts you can adjust.
Can you adjust rear camber on outlander, wher?; or you have to buy another camber kit ?
Another thing that makes me frustrated is that my car's camber was messed up straight from the factory. How can they do that...

Attached Thumbnails 2010 Outlander Camber adjustment-dscf3963.jpg   2010 Outlander Camber adjustment-dscf3964.jpg  
Old 09-05-2012, 11:58 AM

Many cars cannot adjust camber at all, this is normal.

OK, I have a new 2012 outlander and I also have + camber on the right front tire. It is the first thing I visually noticed standing in front of the car, and based on how the new tire is wearing. I didn't even have an alignment check. There is another member post here also noticed positive camber maybe on both front. Below:

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=42006

The solution should be to rotate the tires often. Also, the door sticker of 35 PSI is a little too low for this heavy vehicle. I try to keep mine a few PSI more because at 35 PSI the tire compressed and bulged out and wear the edges of the tire.

My theory as to why... Mitsu made the outlander to drive on the Japanese side, therefore with this + camber should create a CROSS CAMBER suitable to drive on their side of the road based on road drainage. Think about it, if you were to take your car and drive on the wrong side of the road of the US, (don't try it) the + camber would track it fairly straight.

I suspect, Mitsu may not have changed the chassis in this aspect when they made the LHS version, or that by having the steering on the left side it did not create enough weight to bring down the positive camber into negative. I noticed I needed to steer a bit more to fight with the cross slope of the road (steer a little more to the left to keep straight when road drainage slope is detectable). This positive camber for our US side of the road putting even more weight on the outside tire.

I would CROSS rotate according to the manual maybe sooner, every 5000 miles. This is possible to do as long as you pick tires that is not directional.

Another thing on these outlanders, factory designed to have the front wheel gap is higher than the rear. And coilover kits sold all lower the front more than the back to bring this difference back. When you lower the vehicle, you will add negative camber to all wheels.

So which camber kit did you get, please let us know if you are able to get this corrected.

I can overlook this, I think under 1 degree is fine, I hope mine is not 2 degrees!
Because at first I thought my outlander had an accident at the dealer or something, but after finding posts like this it seems to make sense to me.
I have had cars that chew up tires all differently. As long as you are not killing the tire prematurely solely on the outside wear alone, it really doesn't matter, and rotate tire often will help you make them last longer.

Last edited by OutlanderGT; 09-05-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:08 AM

Thank you for your explanation.

Coming back to my camber issue...
My RT front camber is off by, I'd say, 0.6 degree and my tires on that side got DOUBLE wear on outside comparing to inside of the tire. That is a lot. I am not making this up. Outside is almost bold when inside looks like new. That is an excessive tire wear !

I did rotate my tires every 5-6k and I did number them so I could track tire wear. Those that were on front RT had the most outside wear.

Since there is no way to adjust it, I bought a camber kit from NAPA for around $20.
NAPA AUTO PARTS
To adjust it I used my original printout from april alignment check as my reference point. I bought a digital, magnetic level from Home Depot, that has 0.1 degree accuracy. I replaced original bolt with camber bolt purchased, and with help of my digital level reduced camber by 0.7 degree.
Important - I used torque wrench to tight the bolt.
Now my wheel look straight. I think that RT front tire is starting to show a little wear on the inside, like it suppose to.

Now... Yesterday I was at Mistu dealer with another ABS issue (turns out I have bad ABS pump) and asked about camber adjustment on rear tires. Answer - no adjustment on front and rear tires.

Solution - if you have camber problem you have to buy camber bolts or change your tires more often.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:04 AM

Did you only install the kit on the right front ?

Old 09-07-2012, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by OutlanderGT
Did you only install the kit on the right front ?
Yes only front right, but I think I will do that on back right too to correct bad camber in the back too.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:41 AM

According to the print-out from the aligment machine, you have a fwd, not the 4 wd model. Is this correct?

Old 09-08-2012, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by milliesdad
According to the print-out from the aligment machine, you have a fwd, not the 4 wd model. Is this correct?
Yes, FWD.