Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2010 Outlander, 'check oil level'warning.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 06:16 AM
Default 2010 Outlander, 'check oil level'warning.

I have just replaced the oil in my daughters Outlander which had nearly three litres of oil too much in it, the warning 'check oil level' has been on on the clocks for quite a while now and I can't find the oil level sensor, I would assume it's a float type or similar in the sump but I can't see anything on the sump that looks like a sensor.I have drained the oil out-which looks like engine oil rather than oil/diesel mix and put in the correct amount of 5-30 (5.5 litres). The oil level is now exactly where it should be but the message is still on the dash. My questions are 1. Where-assuming it is faulty- is the level sensor? and 2.How do I delete the message? Thanks to anyone who can answer either or both questions.Regards, Bob.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:21 PM

since you are talking in litres and not quarts, I'm assuming you are not in the US...so only guessing here.

I have the 6B31 3.0L engine and looking through the manual, there is no specific oil level sensor. not to say there isn't one on yours... Another way to check would be to find an OEM online parts site. Here in the states, I can google "OEM Mitsubishi Parts" and there are number of dealers that participate. those sites generally have exploded diagrams and such to find parts.

As far as the light, is there a Service Engine Soon or Check Engine also iluminated? I wonder if there is a Diagnostic Trouble Code that has been thrown and just needs to be reset? You can reset at any mechanic's shop (they will charge you), some auto parts shops will "loan" loan you a reader/reset tool, or you can guy a cheap bluetooth odbii adapter off of ebay and use an app on your phone to reset. I bought an adapter for $14 USD and can read/reset with it.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:06 AM

Disconnect the Battery for 10 mins....you will lose your presets etc...but it might do the trick...otherwise you may in fact have a TC that needs to be reset. Just curious...how did the vehicle get overfilled to such an extent?

Old 09-06-2017, 12:45 PM

Thanks, I'll try that.As to why it was so over filled, she swears blind she hasn't touched the oil since it was last serviced------at Kwikfit FFS. she has had to take it somewhere where they can put an official stamp in the service schedule.Considering the fact that when it went there they actually said it needed four new tyres and front and rear discs and pads fitting at around £500 for the brake parts and about the same for the tyres I can well imagine them filling it wrong. She phoned me saying they wanted that much for the so called 'repairs' so I told her to tell them to fail it on the mot and I would do the work and take it elsewhere for the mot. She then turned up WITH the mot certificate half an hour later. I measured the tyres with a vernier and found the minimum to be 3.6mm and absolutely nothing wrong with the discs or pads. Talk about taking the ****. Strangely enough the oil level corresponded with the 'x' on the dipstick.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
since you are talking in litres and not quarts, I'm assuming you are not in the US...so only guessing here.

I have the 6B31 3.0L engine and looking through the manual, there is no specific oil level sensor. not to say there isn't one on yours... Another way to check would be to find an OEM online parts site. Here in the states, I can google "OEM Mitsubishi Parts" and there are number of dealers that participate. those sites generally have exploded diagrams and such to find parts.

As far as the light, is there a Service Engine Soon or Check Engine also iluminated? I wonder if there is a Diagnostic Trouble Code that has been thrown and just needs to be reset? You can reset at any mechanic's shop (they will charge you), some auto parts shops will "loan" loan you a reader/reset tool, or you can guy a cheap bluetooth odbii adapter off of ebay and use an app on your phone to reset. I bought an adapter for $14 USD and can read/reset with it.
Thanks,, I'll look into that,I do know my youngest son has a plug in gubbins which he bought for his Focus,he paid for the diagnostic codes etc at the time I wonder if it will do for the Outlander,even if we have to pay for the Mitsubishi codes etc it'll be worth it.Thanks for your advice.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:36 PM

Hi have you managed to knock out this light , I have the same issue with a 2013 outlander. Mitsubishi seem to be able to knock it out when they service it , but independent garages can not.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:56 AM

Sorry, we haven't been able to remove the warning message, a friend of mine has tried and he's got a rather expensive Snap on diagnosis gubbins, it's been on that long that it's become part of the scenery. We've had a much worse and far more expensive problem than a warning light, the dmf fell apart and took the slave cylinder out. The replacement part was priced initially at £1000, that's plus the clutch but I managed to find a new replacement for £470, plus clutch.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:14 AM

All right, I've been struggling with this also for a few years and I think I finally found why this happens. My theory is:

Mitsubishi tries to discourage the owner to do their own maintenance buy building in some traps.
Each time you bring your car to the Mitsubishi shop for maintenance they do a Service reset with the MUT-III software. This signals the car computer service was done. I am not talking about the service reminder that you can reset yourself!

Now here comes the problem. When people do their own maintenance they usually don't do this reset. After driving between 20.000 and 30.000 kms (don't know the exact amount of kms) without reset, the computer assumes the car hasn't got any maintenance and injects 1L of fuel in the oil! This causes the level to dramatically rise and the error on your screen. They do this to force you to go to the garage. If you don't you break your cylinders and have even more costs. Taking out some oil won't solve anything! You need to do the reset and then change oil again!

Do not drive around with the oil diluted with fuel or you will break your engine!

How do I solve it? Each time I change oil myself, I go to the garage and pay the guy to do a reset with the diagnosis software (MUT-III).

Reference: I drive a 2011 ASX.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:03 PM

Wow...if Mitsubishi is doing that..then here in Canada we are going to have ALOT !...of broken engines...there are tons of people here that do not service their cars regularly..and Never at the Dealer...this is the first I have heard of this...but its great info.

Old 09-01-2018, 10:30 AM

Just to be clear - the car is NOT injecting a litre of fuel into your oil as some sort of scam dreamt up by Mitsubishi.

What in fact the car is doing is injecting extra fuel into the cylinders as part of it regeneration cycle for the DPF, if you happen to stop driving mid cycle the system has to deposit the fuel somewhere... that somewhere being the oil sump. This is normal for many diesel engines fitted with DPF.
Normally the oil level should sit between the 2 small holes on the dipstick (this is the normal high / low levels). When the regen is emptied into the oil it will rise accordingly, as long as it does not go above the "x" marked on the dipstick it is fine to drive. Usually when this happens you will also see the "Check Oil Level" indicator on the dashboard. This along with the normal service indicator will be reset at the normal mits service.

Originally Posted by asxDriver
All right, I've been struggling with this also for a few years and I think I finally found why this happens. My theory is:

Mitsubishi tries to discourage the owner to do their own maintenance buy building in some traps.
Each time you bring your car to the Mitsubishi shop for maintenance they do a Service reset with the MUT-III software. This signals the car computer service was done. I am not talking about the service reminder that you can reset yourself!

Now here comes the problem. When people do their own maintenance they usually don't do this reset. After driving between 20.000 and 30.000 kms (don't know the exact amount of kms) without reset, the computer assumes the car hasn't got any maintenance and injects 1L of fuel in the oil! This causes the level to dramatically rise and the error on your screen. They do this to force you to go to the garage. If you don't you break your cylinders and have even more costs. Taking out some oil won't solve anything! You need to do the reset and then change oil again!

Do not drive around with the oil diluted with fuel or you will break your engine!

How do I solve it? Each time I change oil myself, I go to the garage and pay the guy to do a reset with the diagnosis software (MUT-III).

Reference: I drive a 2011 ASX.

Last edited by gseiler; 09-01-2018 at 10:44 AM. Reason: clarity

Quick Reply: 2010 Outlander, 'check oil level'warning.