Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2010 outlander - nav installation kit - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Default 2010 outlander - nav installation kit - HELP

hi all,

we just got our first Outlander and we love it!!!

we got the 2010 LS model without the upgraded sound system... i figured for $2500 i can put a nicer system with navi ....

i contacted my dealer and they told me that they dont sell the installation kit for the navi does anybody know where to buy the double din dash panel kit?

did anybody install an after market navi already? can you share pics or tips?

thanks

Old 09-10-2010, 12:22 PM

Scosche (http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/1867) and Metra (https://metradealer.com/api/vfg/view-product/id/99-7013) make dash kits for the Outlander. I bought both to compare and ended up using the Scosche. Metra claims to match the texture of the original dash, but it's not true. Both look kind of cheap. Scosche attaches the navi directly to the car body, which makes it very stable, as opposed to Metra, that attaches the navi to the dash kit, which makes the unit kind of hang in the air. I am planning to wrap the dash kit in leather to match my XLS interior.

You'll probably want to use your steering wheel controls with the aftermarket navi. There are two makers for that as well. Axxess (by Metra) (http://www.axxessinterface.com/products.aspx?s=aswc) and Pac (http://tinyurl.com/3864qdz). I bought the Axxess, because I read reviews that the Pac is slow to respond. Axxess works like a charm, except I couldn't get the Bluetooth controls to work with my JVC navi. This is probably a limitation of the navi unit. Volume, Next, Prev and Mode work fine.

You'll also need a wire harness. I recommend buying two right away, because none of them come with all the pins, and you'll need to use all but 4 pins if you want to make use of all the functionality of the car with the navi unit (light switch, power antenna, steering wheel controls, speed sensor). Just look up "outlander harness" on eBay, there are several.

I've been planning on posting instructions for aftermarket navi install on this forum. I've got a few minor things to finish (rear view camera, AUX input) before I do that. Until then feel free to ask me anything, I'll be glad to help.

BTW, I got the JVC KW-NT3HDT (http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?mo...hId=126&page=3). Chose it mainly for the free traffic updates. So far I'm not happy with the navigation functionality. It misses a lot of addresses, forgets to announce some turns and glitchy in general. Everything but the navigation is working great.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:36 AM

Going down the same route myself, the standard stereo is the worst I have used in any car.

The other alternative to the 3rd party kits is to pick up a OEM fascia. I picked one up from eBay for around £40 (used). Which is a direct match for the car dash.

You can also pick these up from Japanparts, but I think they are around £120.

The problem then is that the opening is slightly wider than a double din, so an additional fascia kit would be required.

Such as this one
http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/autol...g-p-10463.html

There are some details to be found here:
http://www.pioneer.eu/files/eur/car_...%20Pioneer.pdf

I am hoping to get an Alpine 407 and reversing camera installed in the next week or so, so will post up some images when I do.

This would make a good thread, post your Aftermarket head unit installs

Old 09-11-2010, 05:15 PM

Keep in mind the OEM MMCS system can do a lot more than just provide navigation. It can change settings in the car, map fuel economy, organize music and is fully voice controllable. Of course it can also use the OEM satellite radio and full bluetooth integration (calls, streaming music).

If you just want navigation, get an external GPS for $100 and save yourself the hassle of ripping out the stereo and having to wire in a new one.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by PD_BARBS
The other alternative to the 3rd party kits is to pick up a OEM fascia. I picked one up from eBay for around £40 (used). Which is a direct match for the car dash.
lucky you. i think i reached the end of the internet itself trying to find the oem dash kit with no luck. good find on your part.

Originally Posted by ivanz
Keep in mind the OEM MMCS system can do a lot more than just provide navigation. It can change settings in the car, map fuel economy, organize music and is fully voice controllable. Of course it can also use the OEM satellite radio and full bluetooth integration (calls, streaming music).

If you just want navigation, get an external GPS for $100 and save yourself the hassle of ripping out the stereo and having to wire in a new one.
i disagree for the most part. you can change all the settings with the INFO button (it's in the manual). some navi units can do fuel economy as well. MMCS is not controlled by voice, only BT and iPod and some aftermarket systems are actually fully controlled by voice. any half decent navi is sat ready and bluetooth ready/integrated (calls and music, like mine). yes, the one awesome thing about MMCS is the hard drive and the fact that the unit rips the CDs for you, but i store all my MP3s on a 32GB SDHC card and almost any nav system can read those.

by installing an in-dash nav you'll definitely be improving your sound over the default stereo that mitsu gives you.

oh yeah, and an aftermarket system will cost you a third of MMCS.

i had the MMCS on my 07 and enjoyed it, then installed a JVC in the 2010 and wouldn't go back.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by eugenexyu
lucky you. i think i reached the end of the internet itself trying to find the oem dash kit with no luck. good find on your part.
i disagree for the most part. you can change all the settings with the INFO button (it's in the manual).
Hi. You're wrong, MMCS can configure options that ISN'T available through the INFO button, so if you want to change them you must go with the dealer. In addition, Japanparts (http://www.japanparts.com/db/partsli...ey=403-034-001) offers OEM dash for 2DIN and MMCS size, perhaps itsn´t cheap, but the quality is guaranteed.

Saludos

Last edited by jsrd; 09-12-2010 at 02:28 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by eugenexyu
i disagree for the most part. you can change all the settings with the INFO button (it's in the manual). some navi units can do fuel economy as well.
MMCS is not controlled by voice, only BT and iPod and some aftermarket systems are actually fully controlled by voice. any half decent navi is sat ready and bluetooth ready/integrated (calls and music, like mine). yes, the one awesome thing about MMCS is the hard drive and the fact that the unit rips the CDs for you, but i store all my MP3s on a 32GB SDHC card and almost any nav system can read those.

by installing an in-dash nav you'll definitely be improving your sound over the default stereo that mitsu gives you.

oh yeah, and an aftermarket system will cost you a third of MMCS.

i had the MMCS on my 07 and enjoyed it, then installed a JVC in the 2010 and wouldn't go back.
- No, only MMCS and the dealer can change options. The info button can only change some very primitive options relating to units/fuel economy reset/etc.
- MMCS *is* controllable by voice. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEOwX_arFqo
- You can use the USB port to have a theoretically unlimited size flash drive plugged into MMCS.

As for a dash kit, search eBay. They can be had for cheap...search for "outlander dash"

Old 09-12-2010, 04:21 AM

I agree that the MMCS would be a much better option. However does the extra cost justify the additional features.

Also where can you buy these ?

If I picked up one for a reasonable price it would be a better option.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:55 AM

on my 2010 i can change almost any option that i was able to change on the mmcs (turn signal sound, auto door unlock, etc.) but the real question for a buyer is how often are you planning to change those options, and whether they are worth the price difference.

as per the youtube video you attached, only bluetooth and iPod are controlled by voice, like i mentioned earlier. you can't for example enter an address into the nav by voice, or skip a song on a CD. many aftermarket nav systems can do that (Pioneer for example).

any good nav unit has a USB port.

aaaaaanyway, i think we can defend our arguments till out fingers bleed, but the bottom line is what's worth your money. the mmcs is a good unit, when it cost me $1500 in 2007, but now that it's almost $2500, i'd go with an aftermarket system that can do most of the same things the mmcs can and more, and will run me a third of the price.

just my 2 cents.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:13 PM

hi all,

Did anybody buy the kit from JapanParts? is it good quality? and is the pattern going to match my dash? (meaning its not plain black like Scosche)

from what I understand, if i remove my stock CD/MP3 Player I will have to remove the Bluetooth module that came with the car!

Is there a way to integrate the phone controls to an after market navi? or should i just remove the phone controls as well.

Is the reverse signal wire behind the stock system?

Cheers,

Quick Reply: 2010 outlander - nav installation kit - HELP