Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2010 Outlander: US FUSE vs Canada Non-Fuse System

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 07:19 PM
Question 2010 Outlander: US FUSE vs Canada Non-Fuse System

As I understand it, the 2010 Canadian Outlanders do not have the FUSE system which the 2010 American Outlanders do.

My question is, can I simply purchase the NAVI system (which has the FUSE system) from a US retailer and install it in a Canadian 2010 Outlander? I live in Canada by the way which is the reason for me asking.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/mart...2010-outlander

Thanks in advance!

-drp37

Old 06-22-2010, 07:34 PM

The FUSE system is not a part of the NAV, as it is an accesory that works with both NAV and non-NAV units:
FUSE Hands-free Link System™
X CLOSE

MSRP: $350

• Voice-Activated command
  • Bluetooth 2.0 calling and streaming music
  • Automatic phonebook transfer
  • USB connection for MP3/iPod® interface

I personally think its part of the bluetooth module, which has been updated for 2010.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:58 PM

Thanks for the reply.

FUSE is not available on the Canadian version of the 2010 Outlander; Bluetooth is available, but it is not the FUSE system.

So I assume that one can swap out the two modules?

-drp37

Old 06-22-2010, 10:55 PM

No idea, a number of us are trying to find a 2010 Outlander service manual so that we can see what the differences are.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:46 AM

Ivanz, any news on swapping out the module?

I have a feeling the 2011 Canadian Outlander will come equipped with the FUSE.

Can the Canadian XLS be modded with the US FUSE system?

Old 10-19-2010, 02:25 PM

I have no idea, as I haven't found a 2010 Outlander service manual for a US/Australian Outlander. I think its the bluetooth module, since its allowed to display anything on the screen/send audio to the headunit. That seems like the most logical way to integrate such a system in an existing car (especially since the stereo part number is still the same as before).

Old 10-20-2010, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by ivanz
I have no idea, as I haven't found a 2010 Outlander service manual for a US/Australian Outlander. I think its the bluetooth module, since its allowed to display anything on the screen/send audio to the headunit. That seems like the most logical way to integrate such a system in an existing car (especially since the stereo part number is still the same as before).
Maybe we should ask someone with 2010 FUSE system to give us part number and connector side photo - as 2010 BT module has only 1 connector, no separate USB input.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:04 PM

Yeah, that would definitely help. A pinout of the bluetooth module will confirm if it handles USB or not. The module itself wouldn't have an actual USB connector on it...but an extra two pins or re-use of two previously unused ones.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:54 AM
Default USB Box

I hope this help. In addition to the Bluetooth module, you need at least a module or connector called USB (see diagram). Definitely, we need to know the part number as the Bluetooth and USB modules and I think the MMCS require firmware upgrade to handle the new functions offered by FUSE system

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n...M08AC00USA.png
(USB conector or module)

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n...7FC00USA-1.png
(Bluetooth module)

Old 10-21-2010, 04:50 AM

That definitely does help, thanks!
FUSE looks to be very well entrenched into the system, with connections to the Bluetooth module, stereo, and ECU.
According to the service manual for a 2008 Outlander, ETACS ECU connector C-317 pin 1 is simply +12V all the time. So hopefully that means modifying the ECU is not required.

Otherwise, it looks like the USB module should be physically compatible with the radio...so it would plug into the radio. In the worst case, you may need to splice your Satellite radio into the new connector...but unplugging C-14 and losing satellite radio temporarily will be good enough to test it.

I believe connector C-16 pin 30 is the CAN BUS signal, which means that the bluetooth module communicates with the box directly (probably for A2DP or maybe even controlling the USB box).

So I think only Bluetooth may need a firmware upgrade...hopefully not the radio. I don't see a reason why the ETACS ECU would have anything to do with this.

Quick Reply: 2010 Outlander: US FUSE vs Canada Non-Fuse System